• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A few questions as newbie.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incoming!

Comment

Phasers set to stun!
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
        That was remarkably nice and restrained of you, MrRobin.
        I'm in a good mood... the next noob won't be so lucky
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Don’t be so horrid to the poor chap.

There are two main strategies when negotiating the rate for a contract.

Strategy 1.
          £34ph! – I don’t take a p155 for that. Tell the client that I want £70 and I want my holiday paid too.

Strategy 2.
          To secure this job I’ll work for minimum wage for the first month just to prove myself. To show my commitment to the role I have canceled my holiday for later in the year.

I recommend strategy 1.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
            WHS
            Well, welcome to the board and first post in General, curtis! Looks like you escaped a complete and utter flaming - which is always nice. Good to have you with us.

<note to other newcomers - get your first posts in near the end of the week - it seems to work >

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
              I'm in a good mood... the next noob won't be so lucky

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                Don’t be so horrid to the poor chap.

There are two main strategies when negotiating the rate for a contract.

Strategy 1.
                £34ph! – I don’t take a p155 for that. Tell the client that I want £70 and I want my holiday paid too.

Strategy 2.
                To secure this job I’ll work for minimum wage for the first month just to prove myself. To show my commitment to the role I have canceled my holiday for later in the year.

I recommend strategy 1.
                Me too, or something in the range 1 to 2 but closer to 1.

Most clients think strategy 2 is a clear sign of a loser, and would rather pay more to get what they think will be a better contractor.

However, 2 may work with some clients, especially small firms; but if it does then they're cheapskates almost by definition, slave drivers too most likely, and you can be sure they'd never raise your rate.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                X