• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

what's different about working in finance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I bet AussieL is a certified unix network technician.
    Of that there is little doubt. Except a mule's one, all others are useful in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      I bet AussieL is a certified unix network technician.

i am a proper C.U.N.T. to DBAs and SysAdmins

Comment

I'm sure all this twaddle is interesting to the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
          I'm sure all this twaddle is interesting to the OP.

Good point.

There is a distinction between working in financial markets (investment banks) and finance per se. You could get into SunGard and work on coding up derivatives pricing models someone else has thought up, with no background in that, for relatively good pay compared to what you are getting.

If you want to get into IB's do the Securities Institute exams first and then at least you will be able to talk the talk in the interview (http://www.sii.org.uk) and you will look keen. Aim for Back Office roles first.
          Last edited by aussielong; 16 April 2008, 12:00. Reason: typo

Comment

Working in finance is different in that you'll probably be on the bench soon.

Comment

thanks everyone, really interesting stuff. i'm having a lot of fun working for TV broadcasters, computer games companies and the like, so although switching industries could be lucrative, i don't think i'll be putting on shoes or whipping out the laminated wipe-clean picture of Mrs Thatcher any time soon.
              Originally posted by BolshieBastard
              You're fulfilling a business role not partaking in a rock and roll concert.

Comment

Working...
              X