• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

what's different about working in finance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    permie mates .
    Is there an oxymoron smilie?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Is there an oxymoron smilie?
      done know

but your signature is an anagram of "i fart and love bad cunnilingus farts"

Comment

Not in the IB where i work - even the permies are grafting - and nobody is treading water. You sound really cool. Why don't you help your permie mates by spreading your vast knowledge.
        I've worked in Banks for the best part of 15 years, inc two of the top three. I'm by no means suggesting all permies are rubbish, cause it's not true. But there are a fair few people in permie roles who've been there a while and are very comfortable - who should be worried right now, cause if they get kicked out into the real world they'll find that the last 10/15 years spent learning the processes of the particular bank they work in, as opposed to trying to up their skillset will find them in trouble.

An recent example for me - my last role, at a big bank, had a team of 8 guys - 4 perm/4 contractors, 3 of us contractors with CCIE's, the other a decent CCNP, who basically bar one permie guy did most of the really technical stuff.

Three of the permie guys would struggle in a technical interview if they left and would struggle to get work. That scenario isn't unique in my experience to my last contract (Or the current one I'm on - but that's not banking for a change and the permies here are in no danger).

There are crap contractors out there, but they don't last long in banking - permie ones are a bit harder to get rid of ...
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
          I've worked in Banks for the best part of 15 years, inc two of the top three. I'm by no means suggesting all permies are rubbish, cause it's not true. But there are a fair few people in permie roles who've been there a while and are very comfortable - who should be worried right now, cause if they get kicked out into the real world they'll find that the last 10/15 years spent learning the processes of the particular bank they work in, as opposed to trying to up their skillset will find them in trouble.

An recent example for me - my last role, at a big bank, had a team of 8 guys - 4 perm/4 contractors, 3 of us contractors with CCIE's, the other a decent CCNP, who basically bar one permie guy did most of the really technical stuff.

Three of the permie guys would struggle in a technical interview if they left and would struggle to get work. That scenario isn't unique in my experience to my last contract (Or the current one I'm on - but that's not banking for a change and the permies here are in no danger).

There are crap contractors out there, but they don't last long in banking - permie ones are a bit harder to get rid of ...
          I didn't realise there was a Sys Admin contract market. I assumed most people on here were developers like me.

Comment

I didn't realise there was a Sys Admin contract market. I assumed most people on here were developers like me.
            Some people move up from being code monkeys after a while.

Comment

Look up from your keyboard and have a look around. There's a touch more than just sysadmin or developers in the IT world.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                There are crap contractors out there, but they don't last long in banking...

You'd be surprised....
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

You'd be surprised....
                  Actually no, you're right - but they're outnumbered by crap permies imo. Some people are naturally good at hiding how sh!te they really are.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    Some people move up from being code monkeys after a while.
                    Move up to what? What can you move up to that isn't a different career?

Comment

Move up to what? What can you move up to that isn't a different career?
                      Good point. The only people that work in IT are developers

Comment

Working...
                      X