• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Group claims responsibility

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Group claims responsibility

Article
    Shadowy group claims new London attack - Web site
    DUBAI (Reuters) - A group claiming links to al Qaeda said on Friday it was behind the latest attack on London, warning it would not halt its strikes until foreign forces quit Iraq, according to an Internet statement.

"Our attack in the heart of the infidel British capital is nothing but a message to all European governments that we will not rest until all the infidel troops leave Iraq," said the statement by the Abu Hafs al-Masri Brigades dated July 22.

"This is a warning to all those who follow the policies of the president of infidel America," it added, referring to U.S. President George W. Bush.

Friday's statement, like the previous claim from the group, did not appear on major al Qaeda Web sites. U.S. officials say the Abu Hafs al-Masri's links to al Qaeda are not clear.

The group has claimed many attacks in Europe in the past, including the 2004 Madrid train bombings. These claims have been discredited by security experts.

The same group claimed responsibility for the four bomb attacks in London two weeks ago which killed 56 people. British police on Friday were hunting down four bombers who struck at London's transport network in an apparently failed bid to repeat these attacks.
    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

I've no doubt half a dozen other "groups" no one has ever heard of before will claim responsibility as well. I guess it doesn't really matter who did it anyway - these "groups" are nebulous and ever-shifting in composition and objectives anyway. Trying to pin them down as organisations with a corporate structure and appointed officers is largely an academic exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
      Trying to pin them down as organisations with a corporate structure and appointed officers is largely an academic exercise.
      Might stand a better chance of doing so if our boys in blue concentrated on this rather than nicking Mrs Jenkins from No.8 because she hung the washing in her knickers.

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
        Might stand a better chance of doing so if our boys in blue concentrated on this rather than nicking Mrs Jenkins from No.8 because she hung the washing in her knickers.
        and shat in the garden and had late night parties and terrorised her neighbours
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
          Too true.

Also heard on the radio this morning that New York has instituted random stop 'n' search on the subway as of now. However, a city spokesman stressed that those stopped would be truly random and would not selected on the basis of ethnic or religious appearance. "An elderly lady should expect to be searched just as often as a young asian man", he said.

Nice use of scarce resources. Of course, it remains to be seen if grey haired old ladies really are stopped as often as more likely suspects in practice.

Comment

So basically the police should do nothing about social disorder. Just leave them to it as long as they do it in their knickers FFS
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
              and shat in the garden and had late night parties and terrorised her neighbours
              So said the cat. I think if anyone's been crapping in the garden, it's you, my furry friend!
              In terms of that woman, yes I agree she deserved an ABSO. I've never argued that point.

My point is that in this country we tend to concentrate on silly crimes rather than the important ones. Over the years I've witnessed numerous incidents of violence, vandalism and intimidation which didn't interest the police in the slightest. I even had someone seriously threaten to kill me some years back – were the police interested!? Yet they are only too keen to rush to someone's garden because Mr Roberts has his little fella out. Western civilisation is not going to collapse because of a man's willy. How much police time is wasted trying to monitor and catch incidents of dogging? I agree it's not very pleasant, but I'm far more concerned about being mugged in the street, burgled or blown up than I am about some people shagging in the woods. It's time for this country to grow up.

Btw, in case you are wondering about my motivation; I am not interested in dogging or getting my little fella out. Simply these things are pretty harmless and should be dealt with in an adult manner rather than BILLY'S GOT HIS KNOB OUT, MY GOD CALL THE POLICE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                However, a city spokesman stressed that those stopped would be truly random and would not selected on the basis of ethnic or religious appearance.
                Good to see intelligent policing isn't limited to Britain.

If police were hunting a rapist, would they also quiz women to be 'random'?

Comment

Where do people go dogging? At picnic areas beauty spot etc. i.e. where children often frequent. If people want to have sex parties let them do it in private and not in public.

The police aren't interested in some crimes granted, but you can't deny the public justice just because The Sun or The Mail decides there is something parculiar incidental to the case which they decide to make a major incorrect assumption about to attempt to prove some editorial line.

Comment

I'm not an expert on dogging, but my understanding is that they often happen at night and normally in secluded areas so as not to attract unwanted attention.
                    I wouldn't expect children to be wandering around a car park in the evening.
                    I agree that such things should be in private. I don't want to be strolling through the woods only to find a group of people engaged in kinky sex. However, as long as I have a balanced view of the world, such an incident is unlikely to destroy my mental welfare. The same can't be said for being duffed up over my wallet.

I don't see the Sun or the Mirror as the voice of liberal reason. They, in a very hypocritical way, tend to be quite conservative on such issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X