• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

There is no crisis. Buying your own home is a luxury, not a right

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Er, yes they do - at 2.5% a year (on average since record began).
    Is that 2.5% absolute or relative to something?

Do you have a link for that? How much did prices rise in the time? How much did earnings rise?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      Not really. In many countries, including Britain until after WWII, you would expect to sell a house for pretty much what you paid for it. The housing market was stable.

Now it is unstable in the UK, and the instability is going completely unadressed because people like it. And describe uncontrolled inflation punctuated by ruinous busts as a "healthy" housing market!

The situation here is abnormal, not to say pathological. Yes one can gain by speculating on a single-commodity inflation, but is that good for the economy?

It is just a transfer of wealth from the young to the old; from those who work and earn, to those who own and do not earn. the young who have to pay more and more to "get on the housing ladder" smoke the same stuff and start to see the same visions.... but it's not really a ladder, it's a Ponzi pyramid.
      I never really understood why people automatically think rising house prices are a good thing. You don't go "Oh my car now costs twice what it did 5 years ago.... fantastic"

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Er, yes they do - at 2.5% a year (on average since record began).
        Better than that, on average in the UK. Especially if by "since records began" you mean since building societies started publishing "house price indexes", i.e. 1970s. But my point was that this is abnormal, if you look wider and older. It is therefore not as much a given as some seem to think. I am not disputing the house price increases that have happened, just the contention that it is "always" so.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
          I never really understood why people automatically think rising house prices are a good thing. You don't go "Oh my car now costs twice what it did 5 years ago.... fantastic"
          I think the idea is that they borrow more against the ever increasing worth of their house and fritter it away - thus making the economy look good.

Shame when the money has to be paid back - but can't people just go omn borrowing more and more forever? seems to have worked well over the last 30 years.

Comment

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/hpi/historical.htm

IIRC data is from 1952 onwards, you can choose if you want inflation adjusted or not.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
              Indeed, but you couldn't realise the equity on your car.

This is the reason why everyone is "desperate to get on the housing ladder" - it means with the flood of cheap money, you can borrow and go on your two annual holidays to Costa del Sol when before you couldn't.

The silly thing is, you could have gone on benefits and saved up £7000 for a holiday in Goa...
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
              X