• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kerching! - New dot com boom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    It was considerably more than £10. In fact it gave me the deposit to put on a BTL. Not much by some people standards but I like that - use one artificial boom to make money out of another and so on ad infinitum

Now that is proper capitalism
    Threaded managed to buy Denmark with his first contracts.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
      Personally, I can't see it being more than a flash in the pan success.

Like many internet start-ups, the real money is in squirreling away the cash from the VC mugs, or managing to somehow convince a buyer that your online business is worth 200 million, when any real profit is still projected to be 5 years away.

I'm still convinced there's opportunities for us web developers to knock up a successful site, working from home, and with little resource or investment. Just waiting for AtW's eBook to help me finalise the small details.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        Like many internet start-ups, the real money is in squirreling away the cash from the VC mugs, or managing to somehow convince a buyer that your online business is worth 200 million, when any real profit is still projected to be 5 years away.

I'm still convinced there's opportunities for us web developers to knock up a successful site, working from home, and with little resource or investment. Just waiting for AtW's eBook to help me finalise the small details.
        just as long as you are not waiting on an economic forecast.

Comment

£7.4m valued for a company that sends out some text messages to people in pub quizes?! Do they hold any assets that even come close to this figure? I doubt it... Jeezus.. this is why the dotcom crash happened in the first place wasn't it? Massive overvaluations on companies with no tangable assets and only vague and very optimistic forecasts on future growth that actually turn out to be unsustainable because the market would be saturated if it really was that profitable.
          It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by HRH View Post
            A family members internet start has just got another round of VC cash-£350million.....

nice work if you can get it.
            <cough> BULLS**T.

Comment

I’m in with both feet
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
                a flash in the pan success.
                That would be perfect! One flash in the pan, £1m and I'm out!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  That would be perfect! One flash in the pan, £1m and I'm out!
                  Try not to get any on Wilmslow's shoes.

Comment

Yeah the first boom/crash was due to everyone thinking this new fangled technology would transform and revolutionise the way we all live – which it has but not in a way anyone could predict – and it will still be very hard to predict how it will continue to develop.

The web is still very young but at least we know more now than we did then. At least now people are doing some more due diligence as to whether a business has a chance of making any money or not.

Back in the initial boom people were going all ga-ga over ‘cool looking’ impressive (expensive, clunky) websites with no focus on how to get traffic.

Now people are all climbing over each other trying to get to the top of the search engines and ‘exploit’ web 2.0 etc. Out of interest I did a search for the term ‘SEO London’ just to see what whoever was winning the rankings for that term was up to. The company at position #1 in Google were all about getting traffic and optimising sites for people.

But when it came to converting visitors into customers they said that a conversion rate of 0.5% (1 in every 200) visitors was acceptable to good. A 0.5% conversion rate in my book is appalling – but who am I to argue with the people who rank #1 in Google for ‘SEO London’

People will soon wake up to the fact that designers and even SEO experts are not sales/marketers and should not have so much of a say on the elements that affect your sales conversions. But right now they’re more concerned with “Get my [professional looking and SEO optimised – but very poorly converting] website to #1 in Google so I can get 1000 visitors a day and make 5 sales…
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

I'm looking forward to the day when something more reliable that search engines exist to find good websites.

Google and co are ok for finding info from different sources, but crap at giving me a list of websites I can trust and have the products or services that I want. Too much relies on what the user enters as a search term.

So what is going to replace search engines? Properly vetted directories or those built from users recommendations or ratings or actual use?
                      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                      Feist - I Feel It All
                      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                      X