• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BTL Aspirations crumble

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the Vista development in central London, one flat which was bought for £250,000 in 2005 was put up for sale at £175,000. It got no takers. No one was interested, either, when the price was cut to £150,000, and the property remains unsold.

In London? Shurely Shome Mishstake?
    Shome exaggerashion more like. That Vista development is in Woolwich. Central London my

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
      Shome exaggerashion more like. That Vista development is in Woolwich. Central London my

Microsoft, Redmond.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
        Only for those with strong cash positions. The cheap BTL mortgage will be a thing of the past by then (actually happening now). Your current YTV % on your properties is now lower than cash deposit, so can't see you accumulating much cash in that time. Any investment advisor would be telling you to reduce exposure to property. But you don't need advice do you.
        Not when paying cash. The long term investment and profit from rentals is far greater than any savings account. soon it will be the time for those with savings to invest a couple of hundred thou in cheap properties. Better than any pension scheme.
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
          Better than any pension scheme.
          It all depends on taxation. In this country Govt makes quick retrospective decisions that as far as I am concerned give very little confidence for long term projects that can't be liquidated very quickly and without major losses.

Comment

Not when paying cash. The long term investment and profit from rentals is far greater than any savings account. soon it will be the time for those with savings to invest a couple of hundred thou in cheap properties. Better than any pension scheme.

I've heard a lot of people say 'my house is my pension'. Well I'm afraid that cash machine is broke. Actually it's worse than that, and it won't be fixed any time soon, as it's now gone into reverse. Expect inflated expectations to become very deflated in the coming years.

Comment

I've heard a lot of people say 'my house is my pension'. Well I'm afraid that cash machine is broke. Actually it's worse than that, and it won't be fixed any time soon, as it's now gone into reverse. Expect inflated expectations to become very deflated in the coming years.
              Well, when I retire in about 20 years, maybe things will have improved
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Well, when I retire in about 30 years, maybe things will have improved
                Your Government
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Well, when I retire in about 20 years, maybe things will have improved
                  Blimey, 20 years to retirement And you say that you have grandchildren, so you you're no spring chicken either. Property might average a 5% return over that time, so yes, it might have improved, but no better than cash. My portfolio is globally diverse so the higher returns will allow me to retire in 10 years

Comment

My portfolio is globally diverse so the higher risk will allow me to go bankrupt and turn homeless in 10 years
                    Your Government
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                    X