• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "BTL Aspirations crumble"

Collapse

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    My portfolio is globally diverse so the higher risk will allow me to go bankrupt and turn homeless in 10 years
    Your Government

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Well, when I retire in about 20 years, maybe things will have improved
    Blimey, 20 years to retirement And you say that you have grandchildren, so you you're no spring chicken either. Property might average a 5% return over that time, so yes, it might have improved, but no better than cash. My portfolio is globally diverse so the higher returns will allow me to retire in 10 years

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Well, when I retire in about 30 years, maybe things will have improved
    Your Government

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    I've heard a lot of people say 'my house is my pension'. Well I'm afraid that cash machine is broke. Actually it's worse than that, and it won't be fixed any time soon, as it's now gone into reverse. Expect inflated expectations to become very deflated in the coming years.
    Well, when I retire in about 20 years, maybe things will have improved

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Not when paying cash. The long term investment and profit from rentals is far greater than any savings account. soon it will be the time for those with savings to invest a couple of hundred thou in cheap properties. Better than any pension scheme.

I've heard a lot of people say 'my house is my pension'. Well I'm afraid that cash machine is broke. Actually it's worse than that, and it won't be fixed any time soon, as it's now gone into reverse. Expect inflated expectations to become very deflated in the coming years.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Better than any pension scheme.
    It all depends on taxation. In this country Govt makes quick retrospective decisions that as far as I am concerned give very little confidence for long term projects that can't be liquidated very quickly and without major losses.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Only for those with strong cash positions. The cheap BTL mortgage will be a thing of the past by then (actually happening now). Your current YTV % on your properties is now lower than cash deposit, so can't see you accumulating much cash in that time. Any investment advisor would be telling you to reduce exposure to property. But you don't need advice do you.
    Not when paying cash. The long term investment and profit from rentals is far greater than any savings account. soon it will be the time for those with savings to invest a couple of hundred thou in cheap properties. Better than any pension scheme.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Shome exaggerashion more like. That Vista development is in Woolwich. Central London my

Microsoft, Redmond.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    At the Vista development in central London, one flat which was bought for £250,000 in 2005 was put up for sale at £175,000. It got no takers. No one was interested, either, when the price was cut to £150,000, and the property remains unsold.

In London? Shurely Shome Mishstake?
    Shome exaggerashion more like. That Vista development is in Woolwich. Central London my

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    That "flat" must have been size of a cupboard...

You really need to get your old avatar...
    I think it was a broom cupboard, but an agent mistook it for a cozy studio.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    I prefer apple crumble

HTH

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    In almost every city centre, you can see buildings festooned with "For Sale" signs. At the Vista development in central London, one flat which was bought for £250,000 in 2005 was put up for sale at £175,000. It got no takers. No one was interested, either, when the price was cut to £150,000, and the property remains unsold.

That "flat" must have been size of a cupboard...

You really need to get your old avatar...

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    In almost every city centre, you can see buildings festooned with "For Sale" signs. At the Vista development in central London, one flat which was bought for £250,000 in 2005 was put up for sale at £175,000. It got no takers. No one was interested, either, when the price was cut to £150,000, and the property remains unsold.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Excellent. With no property and a large cash and foreign currency portfolio I look forward to buying several flats outright after the crash.

But there's going to be a lot of pain in the UK in the meantime.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Only for those with strong cash positions. The cheap BTL mortgage will be a thing of the past by then (actually happening now). Your current YTV % on your properties is now lower than cash deposit, so can't see you accumulating much cash in that time. Any investment advisor would be telling you to reduce exposure to property. But you don't need advice do you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X