• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Not Paying Up Advice Needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You dont need the agents agreement if there is a clause in your contract that allows for early termination of the contract.

Mailman

Comment

I'm not sure you are entitled to anything. The client could claim they let you have the 4 weeks notification period as unpaid time (eg if I have a week's holiday at the client's discretion, I can't charge). The client can legally hold you to work the 4 weeks as per contract or choose to release you as per your request.

That might not be what you wanted to hear......
      Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Well it sounds like he has agreement from the client to the four week payout so he should be fine.

Mailman

Comment

What client is going to agree to pay a Contractor four weeks worth of money for work they aren't going to do when it's the Contractor who is asking to terminate the contract?

Sounds more like "we're not going to hold you to the four weeks so just **** off now".
          Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

I agree with Alf. I think that there was a misunderstanding in what the client said. Unless the bit of paper says, "p1ss off now and we'll still pay you", you are going to have a hard time convincing a judge that this is what the client meant.

tim

Comment

no had been there for about 4 months, and then gave one months notice, which i was entitled to do, client wasnt happy and they said they would pay me the notice.

Got all that in an email from both the client and the agency
              Seems he has it all covered.

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
                I agree with Alf. I think that there was a misunderstanding in what the client said. Unless the bit of paper says, "p1ss off now and we'll still pay you", you are going to have a hard time convincing a judge that this is what the client meant.

tim

Are you sure that the client haven't paid?? if so it should be the agency's job to chase them, believe me they'd want to have their cut... I do have a feeling that the client have paid the agency and the agency may want to keep the whole lot.... in any case your contract is with the agency not with the client directly, hence you need to pressurise the agency to pay up, if they haven't got the money they'll kick the client to pay up

Comment

Its probably just the agent stringing you along. You're not of any further use to them, so your just another creditor now. Don't forget the agent is probably on 30 or 60 day payment terms with the client, and might be worried about getting paid for the 4 weeks themselves.

Patience will probably win the day on this one, but you should keep chasing it regularly - if only to show how reasonable you have been in a later court appearance.

Comment

Working...
                  X