• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agency Not Paying Up Advice Needed"

Collapse

• insight14
    replied
    Its probably just the agent stringing you along. You're not of any further use to them, so your just another creditor now. Don't forget the agent is probably on 30 or 60 day payment terms with the client, and might be worried about getting paid for the 4 weeks themselves.

Patience will probably win the day on this one, but you should keep chasing it regularly - if only to show how reasonable you have been in a later court appearance.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123
    I agree with Alf. I think that there was a misunderstanding in what the client said. Unless the bit of paper says, "p1ss off now and we'll still pay you", you are going to have a hard time convincing a judge that this is what the client meant.

tim

Are you sure that the client haven't paid?? if so it should be the agency's job to chase them, believe me they'd want to have their cut... I do have a feeling that the client have paid the agency and the agency may want to keep the whole lot.... in any case your contract is with the agency not with the client directly, hence you need to pressurise the agency to pay up, if they haven't got the money they'll kick the client to pay up

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    no had been there for about 4 months, and then gave one months notice, which i was entitled to do, client wasnt happy and they said they would pay me the notice.

Got all that in an email from both the client and the agency
    Seems he has it all covered.

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    I agree with Alf. I think that there was a misunderstanding in what the client said. Unless the bit of paper says, "p1ss off now and we'll still pay you", you are going to have a hard time convincing a judge that this is what the client meant.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    What client is going to agree to pay a Contractor four weeks worth of money for work they aren't going to do when it's the Contractor who is asking to terminate the contract?

Sounds more like "we're not going to hold you to the four weeks so just **** off now".

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Well it sounds like he has agreement from the client to the four week payout so he should be fine.

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    I'm not sure you are entitled to anything. The client could claim they let you have the 4 weeks notification period as unpaid time (eg if I have a week's holiday at the client's discretion, I can't charge). The client can legally hold you to work the 4 weeks as per contract or choose to release you as per your request.

That might not be what you wanted to hear......

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    You dont need the agents agreement if there is a clause in your contract that allows for early termination of the contract.

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• gtullett
    replied
    Yes i got the agreement before leaving otherwise i would have stayed, was quite willing to work the notice.

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    Originally posted by gtullett
    Hi,
    I have a problem with an agency not paying.

I decided to quit a contract a few weeks ago and rather than let me work my notice they agreed to pay me the four weeks, so i left the contract.

Now whenever i try speak to the agency about this i am ignored.

Have had no money and am a month out of pocket.

Not sure what to do next.

Any advice appreciated

Gerry
    To a greater or lesser extent it depends on the contractor. Also did you get agreement from the agency in writing before withdrawing the services in lieu of notice.

At the end of the day you are asking an agency to pay for 4 weeks service that it has not recieved.

As other posters have intimated this one may need a solicitor. I would n't want to call it enough to recommend a court small claims or otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• gtullett
    replied
    Appreciate the advice mailman, benn contracting for six years and this is the first time, guess i have been lucky up until now.

Still a pain in the a*se when you just want paying what is owed

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Good, now go get yourself proper legal advice and dont much around any longer with these people.

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• gtullett
    replied
    no had been there for about 4 months, and then gave one months notice, which i was entitled to do, client wasnt happy and they said they would pay me the notice.

Got all that in an email from both the client and the agency

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by gtullett
    Hi,
    I have a problem with an agency not paying.

I decided to quit a contract a few weeks ago and rather than let me work my notice they agreed to pay me the four weeks, so i left the contract.

Now whenever i try speak to the agency about this i am ignored.

Have had no money and am a month out of pocket.

Not sure what to do next.

Any advice appreciated

Gerry
    You worked somewhere 4 weeks and quit ?

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    The important thing here is not to **** around with these people. Assuming you have made demands then the next step is to go to the small claims court. This usually gets the ball rolling.

Mailman

Leave a comment:

Working...
X