• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What makes this housing down turn different

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    If I did not use other accounts my post count would have been 100,000
    Your fem-bots have been busy...

Comment

And what about Japan?

There are big differences between Japan and the UK. The UK is experiencing continued demand for housing whereas Japan's demand is actually reducing. Increasing demand for housing will actually exert upward pressure on house prices in the UK while reducing demand will cause house prices in Japan to fall.

Reasons for Japan's decline in demand contrasting with the UK's increase in demand are:

1. Japan has an aging population where the birth rate roughly equals the death rate at 1.5 per 1,000 of population, whereas the UK has a growing birthrate especially among muslims which is now at 3.5 children average per family.

2. Japan has virtually no immigration and in fact it could be negative with so many of their population now working abroad. Need I say much about the UK's inept immigration policy that will continue to add demand for housing!!

3. The Japan government has a policy of 'suburbanisation' which has meant building affordable housing in the suburbs of major cities which has caused a net fall in population in the cities. The UK government has completely failed to provide affordable housing and so this again adds to UK housing demand.

These are extremely obvious demographic differences and explain why UK house prices will not crash, but will stagnate for a while until the liquidity crisis is resolved and interest rates reduce. Talk of a fifty per cent reduction in house prices is simply ridiculous IMO as there are many people out there with cash like myself who will be ready to snap up any nice bargains to rent out at a good return. Houses will always be a safer bet than shares and at the moment they could well be safer than the bank!!!!

Comment

"What makes this housing down turn different "

The fact that "it was different this time" and wasn't going to happen.

"Morons!", the lot of them.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
          These are extremely obvious demographic differences and explain why UK house prices will not crash, but will stagnate for a while until the liquidity crisis is resolved and interest rates reduce.

You are Gordon Brown and I claim my £5 pounds in gold.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
            I know the soviet economic system seemed to involve queuing a lot ... can't say it really took off in the west though so no, I'm not an expert in that field.
            Check out Tescos on Bishopsgate at lunch time...the queues there would be make Stalin blush. They keep expanding the space taken by the tills, and reducing the food...but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by max View Post
              Check out Tescos on Bishopsgate at lunch time...the queues there would be make Stalin blush. They keep expanding the space taken by the tills, and reducing the food...but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
              Same at every Tesco in the city - and there are a few. Cheapside, old broad street, etcetc.

Comment

Tesco is tacky. It makes ASDA look posh. Morrisons is the best overall (Waitrose is too small and I'd say too expensive).

Comment

Tesco is tacky. It makes ASDA look posh. Morrisons is the best overall (Waitrose is too small and I'd say too expensive).
                  Proper contractors shop at Harvey Nichols, Fortnum & Mason, Selfridges or Harrods.

hth

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    Proper contractors shop at Harvey Nichols, Fortnum & Mason, Selfridges or Harrods.
                    I use Harrods every day to sell Big Issue.

bogeyman.

Comment

You are Gordon Brown and I claim my £5 pounds in gold.
                      I notice you don't counter Cyberman's very valid points. Because, probably, right or wrong, they are the product of some individual thinking, rather than regurgitating Economics 101 circa 1950.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X