• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

break a good thing??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not tell the client that you want to take a month's break? At the same time express your disappointment about the contract, but don't burn any bridges.

That way you get your break and you have a contract to return to after. During your break you can also take the time to gauge the market for your skills.

So it's a win/win situation.

My contracting career is coming to an end soon - I think - and I am glad that at least I made the most of it for the 4 years it has lasted.

Comment

yep :-)

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by someone has my name View Post
        I am looking to take a month of contracting..
        to spend some time with my 11 month old kid in June,
        hence not extending my contract(was promised stuff on my latest
        ext that didn’t happen bonus and a year ext rather than the 2 months
        till may.. then if there’s work more ext .. looks like there will be
        loads of work .. and only told this on last day of old contract!!)
        My question is, will this month break + bench time look bad when
        looking for other contracts? Esp. if there is a Slow down in the .net
        market.
        (been contracting since 2000 ... and not had more than a month between contracts.. Jammie I know)
        First off, is the client within getting home distance?

If so, I would continue working, but push for something like 7-3 to give you bonding time in the evenings.

Option 2 – Accept extension on the condition you get a month off. If they are not happy for this, negotiate, maybe a fortnight is very reasonable.

Or go permie

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
          Why not tell the client that you want to take a month's break? At the same time express your disappointment about the contract, but don't burn any bridges.
          Good plan .. prob what I will do ..

as for having a good financial base..I have that . prob due to not having a break for more than a month between contracts before.

Comment

Permy... aint that a banned word round here?

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
              Or go permie
              "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

If you want a break, have a break. Stop listening to all this 'make hay while the sun shines' bollocks. You could also call it 'work every day until you drop, at least you're billing'.

Quality of life is what it's about. And you've seen the light as you want to spend more time with your nipper...
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                  If you want a break, have a break. Stop listening to all this 'make hay while the sun shines' bollocks. You could also call it 'work every day until you drop, at least you're billing'.

Quality of life is what it's about. And you've seen the light as you want to spend more time with your nipper...
                  WHS

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                    I'd be taking the Benes approach - make hay while the sun shines!
                    For that, you deserve a

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post

WHS.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by someone has my name View Post
                      Permy... aint that a banned word round here?
                      It should be. Thankfully there's only one person on here throwing the word around and encouraging that kind of behaviour though.
                      Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X