• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BMW Drivers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diver View Post
    liked to turn sharp right if I hit the brakes hard.
    I think that's what Hitler said of the German populace, wasn't it?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
      I've had a few Beamers, never altered my style of driving.
      Except for the last one, liked to turn sharp right if I hit the brakes hard.
      I had the misfortune to join the M5 from the M4 having watched the glorious Bristol City play a couple of weeks ago as something like this happened. Rain was horrendous and someone in a BMW was skidding across the carriageway. The front of their motor left the hard shoulder where one of those protective crash barriers rise out of the ground to stop people driving into the concrete pillars of a bridge. He must have slid up the barrier at a good speed as the impact killed him. Really wish I had not got out to see if I could help and call the police etc. Not a pretty sight. Messed up my new trainers really badly too as the motorway verge was well muddy with all the rain.

So from personal experience of two weeks ago - BMW drivers do go too fast. And even though well built they will not always save you... Maybe it was heavy braking caused him to swerve and then aquaplane, may have to go to the coroner's hearing to find out.
      my ferret is your ferret

Comment

Originally posted by ferret View Post
        I had the misfortune to join the M5 from the M4 having watched the glorious Bristol City play a couple of weeks ago as something like this happened. Rain was horrendous and someone in a BMW was skidding across the carriageway. The front of their motor left the hard shoulder where one of those protective crash barriers rise out of the ground to stop people driving into the concrete pillars of a bridge. He must have slid up the barrier at a good speed as the impact killed him. Really wish I had not got out to see if I could help and call the police etc. Not a pretty sight. Messed up my new trainers really badly too as the motorway verge was well muddy with all the rain.

So from personal experience of two weeks ago - BMW drivers do go too fast. And even though well built they will not always save you... Maybe it was heavy braking caused him to swerve and then aquaplane, may have to go to the coroner's hearing to find out.
        A lot of people drive suicidally in the rain.

I have felt my car (Volvo) aquaplaning a couple of times in the rain recently, and it's a very scary feeling. So I slow down considerably. But the BMW lane is still filled with drivers trying to do 90mph.

Not a good idea when you don't actually have control of your vehicle.

Comment

ARRRGH ! You've done it again !

We have spoken about this before, haven't we ?

This voting malarkey which skews the results.

Eg, at the time of posting :

Own a Beamer : What's the problem : 4 votes
          Inconsiderate Drivers : 16 votes
          No Difference : 5 votes
          The "Andyw" option : 12 votes

So...here lies my dilemma.

General opinion indicates that BMW drivers are inconsiderate. Yet there are 12 "wasted" votes on the Andyw option, which could potentially swing the vote to "No Difference" or "Own a Beamer, No Problem".

Can't you see the 12 votes is messing with my mind and preventing me from forming an opinion ?

Sure, I had an idea "floating" before seeing the poll (basically, I kind of agreed with all 3 sensible options in equal measures), but just wanted to see the lay of the land, before going any further.

This Andyw business is getting out of hand. I can't even be bothered to look it up and find out how it started. I don't care. Just please desist.

Mmm K Thx Bye
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Oooh dear, I've just traded the AMG in for a Beemer albeit an Alpina (wot does 190mph!) Does that mean I'll become one of these people?
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Oooh dear, I've just traded the AMG in for a Beemer albeit an Alpina (wot does 190mph!) Does that mean I'll become one of these people?
              I've got an Alpina B12 5.7 , they didn't build too many of them, yet people seem to think they're quite common, IIRC they're only 13 left, and not too fast, I've never had it up to the top. Which suits me.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I had to vote inconsiderate, as most of the bmw drivers here are Eastern European...
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

theres a reason the newer BMW's don't indicate.... They use a self canceling feature which takes an age to turn itself off this is due to laws in America. Test drove a new 325i cab recently and after the first turn it drove me insane so for the rest of the test drive I didn't use them

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    No, not as new but a 2 year old BMW will be worth a heck of a lot more in 3 years time compared to an equivalent Mondeo, something you have to take into consideration if you intend to change every 3 years like I do.
                    Will have cost you more to insure and service the BM though Shirley?

I had a 330 Ci Sport (with the indicator / fog light pack) for 5 months and couldn't wait to get rid. The toys are prone to failure and the main $ealers are cack, in my experience.

I think a lot of Beemers are overrated poop. I can't see the point of a car that is next to useless in heavy rain or snow, an opinion held by quite a few BMW owners. Hardly inspires confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
                      I think a lot of Beemers are overrated poop. I can't see the point of a car that is next to useless in heavy rain or snow, an opinion held by quite a few BMW owners. Hardly inspires confidence.
                      Agree.

They're not 'bad weather' cars by any stretch of the imagination. Mostly peoples problems stem from the tires they get delivered with. Yet at the other extreme, with people who can drive, and put decent tires on: I've not met a BMW yet where I can't outdrive the traction control etc., such things are best turned off as I've found they're more of a menace than an assistance. 'Clunky' would be one way to describe it.
                      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                      X