• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

times article about the credit crunch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marina View Post
    AtW, if you get a moment can you repost this article with your highlighting and incisive comments included ?
    That would not be original post then, ratewhore ruined it

Comment

Lots of truths

Especially about 'Calamity' Brown and his 'solid' (as a sandcastle) economy. Still, if this is the price we have to pay to get rid of him and his lot once and for all, I for one am prepared to pay it.

Comment

Yes, UK's first recession is just around the corner. Lock up your wives the sky is about to cave in ...

He's a sports writer ffs (And a fat tw@t at that), this is so simplistic it's laughable. People can drop £2 on a coffee because they get paid enough to do so, if they don't they won't buy and the price will shrink accordingly.

I mean the economy is false because his things cost more, give me a break. At least AtW's cut and pastes reference people who've got some idea of wtf they're talking about, backed up by some sort of proper research. This is just a Clarkson rant.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

unless it comes from the mouth of this woman
          http://www.linkedin.com/ppl/webprofi...rl&lnk=sign_in
          its all a lie
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post

He's a sports writer ffs (And a fat tw@t at that), this is so simplistic it's laughable.
            What he said. That article is terrible. The bloke is a moron. A recession is comming because, thats what recessions do. And we will be better off for it in the long run. We are not due a recession because we pay 2 quid for a coffee, or some d1ck drives into london instead of taking the train or getting a door to door limo service.
            The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              Nice name, Tia Marina. I have visions of a mermaid. Slippery when wet?
              Not far off, PAH, although walruses are also slippery when wet.

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
                Not far off, PAH, although walruses are also slippery when wet.

I know, I'm sure I've got first hand experience from a hazy new year's eve some years ago. They're very frisky after a few bacardi breezers if I remember right.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

"Not far off, PAH, although walruses are also slippery when wet. "

As is a poo!
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Missing the point

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
                    What he said. That article is terrible. The bloke is a moron. A recession is comming because, thats what recessions do. And we will be better off for it in the long run. We are not due a recession because we pay 2 quid for a coffee, or some d1ck drives into london instead of taking the train or getting a door to door limo service.
                    Completely missed the point there. The article is about the effect of a recession on prices. Same as in houses, they may go down subject to supply and demand, same as restaurant and coffee prices which in turn may not be a bad thing.
                    Only thing that won't go down are local and other taxes that NL and Associates have imposed. This hopefully wil be their downfall - amen

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                      Good article.
                      But I'm not sure I believe it. Rip-off Britain was not invented by Brown.

Example: in 1987 I was in the UK and thinking of buying a computer. I looked at a Mac, but for the UK price of a Mac SE and keyboard and stuff plus software, I could fly to New York, stay in midtown for the weekend, eat out well and go to a show, buy the Mac from 47st Photo paying NY sales tax, bring it back and declare it to customs, paying duty and VAT, and still have over £2000 change.

OK, Apple's pricing in those days was famously OTT, but even after they "rationalized" it, it only brought the sums down to £1000 change.

What else do you expect? Apple's tag in the US was "the computer for the rest of us". In the UK it was "the computer people aspire to".

Everyone reamed us. Software prices were changed for the British market by changing the $ sign to a £ sign. Collision Damage Waiver came automatically on Amex, Visa and Mastercards in North America, on Gold versions at least for European cards, but not at all for the Brits.

And don't get me started on wine. Why is it that the EU Commissioner says that cross-border shopping is a European citizen's right, but the UK Govt still puts a limit on the amount of wine you can bring in? Because you are here to be ripped off: you are a target market for businesses (they don't call it Treasure Island for nothing), and a captive source of revenue for the Exchequer. All your money is belong to them.

Comment

Working...
                      X