• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long is not business like

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long is not business like

Ok, as has been proved that length of contract has no bearing on IR35.

But personally when you hear of "contractors" being at the same client site for three or four years I think...become a fecking permie. I don't think that anyone can claim to be a business in their own right with less than two clients.

You can argue that if one client can fill your order books why try harder...I just don't buy it. Plus i start to get cabin fever after 6 months and decided a new challenge is for me.

How long do you consider long enough and you should either go permie or move on.
    < 6 Months
    7.41%
    6 - 9 Months
    7.41%
    9 - 12 Months
    11.11%
    12 - 18 Months
    7.41%
    18 - 24 Months
    14.81%
    24 - 36 Months
    3.70%
    > 36 Months is fine I am a "business"
    14.81%
    Anytime I don't have at least 2 contracts on the go
    3.70%
    Anytime its not fixed price work
    3.70%
    AndyW stole my cheese toastie
    25.93%
    Last edited by Sockpuppet; 28 March 2008, 11:33.

CSC and EDS have been up one of my clients for decades it seems...
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
      Ok, as has been proved that length of contract has no bearing on IR35.

But personally when you hear of "contractors" being at the same client site for three or four years I think...become a fliping permie. I don't think that anyone can claim to be a business in their own right with less than one client.

You can argue that if one client can fill your order books why try harder...I just don't buy it. Plus i start to get cabin fever after 6 months and decided a new challenge is for me.

How long do you consider long enough and you should either go permie or move on.
      That would be Zero then?

HTH
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
        That would be Zero then?

HTH
        Git..editing my post list that to make me look simple

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          Git..editing my post list that to make me look simple
          <---------manly hug
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

As long as I am being paid through my LtdCo I'm a business.

Contracts for a single piece of work which may take as little as a day to do is still a business if payment is made through my LtdCo.
            It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

2-year rule

I think it's a fair assumption that after that you are a permie to all intends and purposes. Only thing I agree with the current contractor legislation/expenses framework.

Comment

I've known contractors that have been at the same gig for 7 or 8 years!

I think they must be undercharging to survive that long, they certainly weren't the worlds best contractor.

Every renewal I push for a rate increase, even if it's only another quid a hour. Eventually the client will decide I'm getting too expensive and not renew me. Stops me having to do a runner after a couple of years when I get bored, and the client will give me a good reference for seeing the project out.

I've a feeling that the two year rule and expenses in general will become a lot harder to claim, at least without all the paperwork, now the MPs themselves are coming under scrutiny.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
                  I think it's a fair assumption that after that you are a permie to all intends and purposes.

That was the excuse I used for leaving my first contract after I'd milked a couple of years re-training out of them.

If they really wanted me to stay they'd have offered to increase my rate to cover the expenses I could no longer claim for.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

IIRC (and no doubt Mal will correct me!) one of the directors at the PCG has been working with the same client for a LONG time (years and years), and has defended successfully against an IR35 investigation.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X