• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: Internet's future debated by UN

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear: Internet's future debated by UN

A UN group charged with deciding how the net should be run has failed to reach a decision.

The group's report suggests four possible futures for net governance that range from no change to complete overhaul.

The proposals will go forward to a key UN net and society conference due to take place in November.

The report comes as the US says it plans to keep its role as overseer of the net's core administrative body.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4692743.stm
    Nice to know that all that taxpayers' money is being poured down the drain in pointless talk exercises at the UN, while the little children are starving. At the end of the day, the US will never relinquish control of Icann so there's precious little point debating it.

Discuss, abuse Chico and/or Franco, whatever...

As the preferences for .com instead of other more apropriate extensions continue to fall i already see USA's control slipping somewhat. All it would take is the other major internet countrys banding together to take away control of everything else except the .com

Though unlikely to happen as no one is really likely to trust the UN to run things anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise
      Though unlikely to happen as no one is really likely to trust the UN to run things anyway
      I wouldn't trust the UN to run a bath so, yes, pretty unlikely to happen I feel.

Comment

Why does the Internet need to be controlled anyway????
        Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
          Just take a look at this forum, shouldn't be allowed.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
            Just take a look at this forum, shouldn't be allowed.
            That's true...too much debate, open criticism of NL and The Third Way.
            Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Looks like I'll be dusting off the old cart and heading out to Torremolinos, where it's more sensible.

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
                Because at the end of the day someone has to control the handing out of domain names and solve disputes related to them.

Comment

Working...
                X