• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NLP - BS or Psycological Skills for Influencing People?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used in interviews on many occasions - I do have a high 'hit rate'.

I've used in contracts to gain rapport with my managers and work collegues.

I've used it on 'difficult' people many times.

I've used it on dates.

I've used it buying houses / cars etc.

I used to persuade retailers getting discounts.

It maybe that I could have got the same results without mirroring and other rapport techniques but if I think it works - that's good enough....

T

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
      it can be used for your next contract interview
      basically mirror the actions of interviewer and use the word "hired" many times during the conversation

A bit tricky when it's a telephone interview.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
        I disagree, you're bright and witty as well which means any girl would be happy to have you as a friend.......

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          Yeah they're always "no"ing me.

awwwwww........
          It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Late-ish to the thread but...

NLP can be used as part of a toolkit. A lot of it's success (or not) will depend on the skills of the practitioner and the willingness of the person being worked on to be open to the idea of it working. Just like hypnosis

What you can't do is make an assumption that the same technique will work on everyone. Mirroring is a small part of it, language patterns are another larger part.

It's been around since the 70's and has split into 2 main factions based around the originators Richard Bandler and John Grinder, who occasionally get at each others throats in the US courts. The Neuro vs. the Linguistic schools.

When someone gets good at this - you don't know they are using it, when they're new or not very good it's like being slapped with a wet fish

Derren Brown uses it quite a bit -but denys it
            Paul McKenna uses it a lot and doesn't

There are other less famous people like Michael Breen and John La valle who are arguably better than either of those

Comment

Originally posted by HYpno27 View Post
              Late-ish to the thread but...

NLP can be used as part of a toolkit. A lot of it's success (or not) will depend on the skills of the practitioner and the willingness of the person being worked on to be open to the idea of it working. Just like hypnosis

What you can't do is make an assumption that the same technique will work on everyone. Mirroring is a small part of it, language patterns are another larger part.
              It's been around since the 70's and has split into 2 main factions based around the originators Richard Bandler and John Grinder, who occasionally get at each others throats in the US courts. The Neuro vs. the Linguistic schools.

When someone gets good at this - you don't know they are using it, when they're new or not very good it's like being slapped with a wet fish

Derren Brown uses it quite a bit -but denys it
              Paul McKenna uses it a lot and doesn't

There are other less famous people like Michael Breen and John La valle who are arguably better than either of those

Mirroring can also be used in speech too..... as well as breathing or signalling the pace of breathing.

T

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
                Mirroring can also be used in speech too..... as well as breathing or signalling the pace of breathing.

T
                Indeed, don't deny it

Comment

I've had the same unfortunate experience with NLP that I've had with religion and Facebook.

In each case I've met zealots who evangelise about the immense power of their subject and how I'd be an idiot not to get involved.

In each case I've applied the same reasoning to the religion question (if there really is a God, how come he can't find a better representative on earth than this sorry sack to convince me).

I did read a book about 20 years ago which was all about how to impress women. Later on I found it was all based on NLP despite the book making no reference at all to NLP.

On the whole I'd say it's RRRRs

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    RRRRs
                    Random Rants Raving Rogues?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                      I've had the same unfortunate experience with NLP that I've had with religion and Facebook.

In each case I've met zealots who evangelise about the immense power of their subject and how I'd be an idiot not to get involved.

On the whole I'd say it's RRRRs
                      There are quite a few evangelists for it out there. Many cannot see the True Way, for they are blinded by faith and fleeced of their cash

Right royal rubbishy religion?

Comment

Working...
                      X