• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If these LED traffic lights...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by threaded View Post
    I had a go at that Formant Synthesizer, that was fun.
    Oops, that was Elektor. Did that 9 channel digi-proportional radio control from PE.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I had a go at that Formant Synthesizer, that was fun.
      He he! So did I.

I was always building synths in my teens, and was in a rubbish band of hopeless teens that sounded like Kraftwerk on diazopan.

The Formant looked the dog's but sounded like rubbish mostly, but occasionally you'd get a brilliant, other-worldly noise out of it.

Sadly we didn't have samplers then!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
        p.s. that would be a 'Chebyshev Filter' then?
        well, there are lots of ways of spelling it, or, for correctness, use the original cyrillic. Чебышёв
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          He he! So did I.

I was always building synths in my teens, and was in a rubbish band of hopeless teens that sounded like Kraftwerk on diazopan.

The Formant looked the dog's but sounded like rubbish mostly, but occasionally you'd get a brilliant, other-worldly noise out of it.

Sadly we didn't have samplers then!
          Ahem....... I had a sampler that plugged into the back of my Spectrum. Really.

Only thing I ever made that worked was a 100w MOSFET power amp.
          Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 26 March 2008, 16:15. Reason: spelling again

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Those were the days, magazines stuffed to the brim with stuff you could never get working.

PE in particular...

And the Practical Wireless "Telewriter"...
            Oh! Tell me about it (I think I tried wirewrapping the thing)

I did successfully build the PE UK101 kit computer though.

Despite the fact that most of the chips in the kit were mfr's rejects and needed to be replaced.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              Ahem....... I had a sampler that plugged into the back of my Sepctrum. Really.

Only thing I ever made that worked was a 100w MOSFET power amp.
              Well there's a lot to be said for loud.

My music teacher said that if Mozart had had a 1KW PA, he would probably have tried to stun his audience rather than trying to impress then with the delicacy and whimsy of his compositions.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Though it's easy to criticise the magazines for putting out stuff that is basically unrepeatable...

My design of a security camera switcher proved to have been designed in such a way that it worked with the CCTV cameras I had, & when one died, the replacement wouldn't work until I'd frigged about with the circuit a bit.

So far as I know, no one has built another system.

Just as well really.
                Perhaps if you ditch the Giant Alien Lizard Spotter circuit, then it could be more commercial. After-all it's only a few caps and res and a 'dual' 556.

Comment

well, there are lots of ways of spelling it, or, for correctness, use the original cyrillic. Чебышёв
                  Correct as ever Threaded!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                    are so wonderfully reliable and stuff, why have so many of them got failed sections in them?
                    They are reliable because they have sections - partial failure, not complete.

It's like RAIDs - drives still fail, but data is saved.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      They are reliable because they have sections - partial failure, not complete.

It's like RAIDs - drives still fail, but data is saved.
                      The automaton continues relentlessly on its course.

Comment

Working...
                      X