• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Father puts daughter in microwave - another good reason to sterilize

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You are not equating like with like.

That's because no two cases are really the same.

Anyone who commits such a crime against children should be removed from society until it's proven that they have either been reabilitated or cured of any mental problems. If neither can be proven then don't risk the public with these examples of the depths of humanity.

Any other solution is a compromise, and one that is inevitably going to fail at some point in some cases.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
      That's because no two cases are really the same.

Anyone who commits such a crime against children should be removed from society until it's proven that they have either been reabilitated or cured of any mental problems. If neither can be proven then don't risk the public with these examples of the depths of humanity.

Any other solution is a compromise, and one that is inevitably going to fail at some point in some cases.
      Everything about a legal system is a compromise. The idea of a criminal justice system is punishment and rehabilation. There are no guarantees that you will get every case right.

A child because they easily learn new skills should be easy to rehabiliate particular if they easily admit to the killing without trying to say they are mentally insane and are taken away from their families.

An adult who kills and then tries to manipulate the system to get a lighter sentence saying they are mentally insane is more dangerous. How are you going to work out if they are acting?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Everything about a legal system is a compromise. The idea of a criminal justice system is punishment and rehabilation. There are no guarantees that you will get every case right.

A child because they easily learn new skills should be easy to rehabiliate particular if they easily admit to the killing without trying to say they are mentally insane and are taken away from their families.

An adult who kills and then tries to manipulate the system to get a lighter sentence saying they are mentally insane is more dangerous. How are you going to work out if they are acting?

They must all be mentally insane to some level. The tricky part is determining and treating the mental illness to reduce it to a level where they are fit to rejoin society. Now I'm not sure how far the treatments have progressed since they used electric shock therapy, but I don't think it's far enough.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
          No, they flail about, go a funny colour and then just stop moving.
          Now that's funny

[Edit] Why? probably because it didn't just happen to a defenseless little child.
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Putting things in a microwave doesn't necessarily sterilize them.

Even Dettox only kills 99% of known germs, so maybe a combination of bleach and microwaving is the best way to sterilize?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by HRH View Post
              I think all parents can sympathise with this man.
              HRH = another good reason to sterilize
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                They must all be mentally insane to some level. The tricky part is determining and treating the mental illness to reduce it to a level where they are fit to rejoin society. Now I'm not sure how far the treatments have progressed since they used electric shock therapy, but I don't think it's far enough.
                There is a difference between mental illness, mental disability and personality disorders.

Current thinking is that personality disorders can be treated successfully in children but not in adults.

Mental illness can be treated completely or controlled.

For example Stephen Fry is bipolar (has Manic Depression) and has not hurt anyone. Ian Brady claimed to be mentally ill but all those who were around him knew he played the system to end up in a secure Mental Hospital so classed him as having a personality disorder.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                X