• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hunt for £100m rogue trader after attack on HBOS share price

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/187.html
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Brilliant

A must see!
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        They have to get them by delivery date.

I remember a case where there was a new issue of bonds and the market shorted more than 100% of the bonds being issued! The issue was pulled and several got burnt fingers.
        That's where #I was going really. So in a position like that they would have to buy in from somebody who was already long at the point the issue was pulled in order to close out. Very burnt fingers I suspect.

Personally I don't think there is any great problem with shorting things. For everybody who is short there is surely somebody else who is long. Net effect pretty much balances out in market terms I would imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
          I know of one young couple with two children. He was involved in a serious road accident in the states.
          I won't go into the whole tale, but his insurance would only cover so much of the costs. corrective surgery they had to pay for by re-mortgaging.
          They are now in a borderline position, he is still unable to work. she has a part time job but has to pay nursery fees for the children. his insurance runs out in three months and the state benefits will barely put food on the table, let alone cover the mortgage.
          They face being out on the street with the children taken into care if things get any worse.
          So, you know a couple who took out a huge loan to pay for the privilege of living in a house, the bloke went driving around the states without adequate medical insurance, and they took out another huge loan to pay for the consequences. I'm failing to see why the position they're in isn't mostly their own fault.
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Good find there Threaded!

"No price is too high for that sort of mature wisdom"

Last edited by bogeyman; 21 March 2008, 13:02.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
              Net effect pretty much balances out in market terms I would imagine.
              Yes it balances out in the end beacuse in the end everyone and everything dies anyway.

Shorting can create runs on company shares - this could lead to fatal consequences to the company, say if shares fall too much and they were use as a collateral for banks then banks may require the company to give more cash to them, or just refuse loans - pending merger can fall through because of run on the shares, it's artificial however in a climate of fear it can be fatal - for example hedge funds shorting Northern Rock certainly helped kill it.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                beacuse in the end everyone and everything dies anyway.
                Hurry up old boy

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                  The BofE initially refused funding to Northern Rock. This was leaked and Robert Peston at the BBC reported that the Rock was in trouble and the run started.
                  After that the BofE panicked, realised it had made the wrong decision and found the Billions that the bank needed. Unfortunately it then needed over another 10 Billion to counter lost deposits.
                  Linky?
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
                    So, you know a couple who took out a huge loan to pay for the privilege of living in a house, the bloke went driving around the states without adequate medical insurance, and they took out another huge loan to pay for the consequences. I'm failing to see why the position they're in isn't mostly their own fault.
                    No, I know a couple who took out a small mortgage to purchase a house because the mortgage worked out cheaper than rented accommodation. the husband traveled to the US for a Seminar, he took the advice of an agent that $100,000 dollars medical insurance would be more than adequate.
                    Then had an accident and found that he required a further $85,000 to cover the medical bills that the insurance did not cover.
                    The accident involved him being crushed against a wall by an unlicensed uninsured teenager.
                    I fail to see where he, his wife or his children are at fault.

Please explain!
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

There is a strong correlation between UNIX/Mac lovers, Labour supporters and ignorant, self-righteous tossers. Explaining the causal relationship is left as an exercise.
                      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                      X