• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone bought a Motorcycle through their Ltd?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
    Nonsense, VAT on a bike is 100% allowable (it goes down as "plant & machinery")
    Of course I use the Harley as an excavtor MR HMRC inspector honest

How would I get away with Plant & machinery being an IT Contractor. What about as a promotional vehicle???
    Last edited by roadster198; 17 March 2008, 11:19.

Comment

VAT is 100% allowable
      BIK is 20% on the actual purchase price paid (inc VAT)
      Servicing, tax, tyres etc are all added in for that year and are included in the 20% calculation
      You should pay the petrol yourself and for any business mileage, the company should pay you a mileage rate commensurate with the actual cost and mpg performance of the bike.
      HMRC also told me that the 20% BIK should be calculated on a pro rata basis based on business to personal mileage

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
        Nonsense, VAT on a bike is 100% allowable (it goes down as "plant & machinery")
        Well according to the accountant vat on new cars is a no-no. Vans it is allowed. Bikes are not really vans are they.

Comment

Exactly. I'm looking at getting a bike & a pickup (van) and just doing 10k miles in my own car

Comment

With the technology involved you should be able to claim the Harley as an agricultural vehicle. .
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I put all my bike expenses through my ltd (including clothing) and my accountant was happy with this. You can reclaim the VAT on purchase of a new bike but you will have to charge VAT when you sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
                you will have to charge VAT when you sell it.
                But you make a profit on that if on flat rate

Do you pay BIK on clothing?

Comment

I foolishly used to think it was worth doing my own self-assessment and ended up paying more than necessary. My BIK was 20% of bikes value plus related expenses. I used my bike 99% for commuting. Let your accountant work it out for you and you'll undoubtedly be better off.

Comment

Working...
                  X