• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for Threaded

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by threaded
    Depth perception is only any use up to about 8 meters.
    Those 8 metres could be quite crucial in an urban operation. Seriously, do squaddies all wander around wearing eye patches?

Comment

Lucifer Box: When you are that close up and personal your weapon is generally nothing more hi-tech than a spade.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Lucifer Box: When you are that close up and personal your weapon is generally nothing more hi-tech than a spade.
        At that distance I would prefer an HandK MP5K-PDW or a nice little Glock 21
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I hope that isn't standard military training when clearing a house... throw your weapon away and get out your entrenching tool. I assume also that they are allowed to take off their eye patches in such situations anyway?

Anyway, I've seen The Naked Gun, that clearly showed an extended firefight taking place at a range of 1 metre.

Joshing aside, out of interest, what is UK military doctrine at the squad level when house clearing anyway? Room-to-room or just mortar and grenade the place until it falls down?

Comment

The Lone Gunman: True, but by then you've generally run out of ammo and they don't make particularly effective weapons after that...

Comment

The Lone Gunman: True, but by then you've generally run out of ammo and they don't make particularly effective weapons after that...
              In time honoured movie tradition, you could throw your handgun at the enemy.

Comment

The Gunman treats his ammo as precious and uses the right tool for the job. I use my close up weapons when I am close up.

Distance work done with SV 98.
                I also carry a Mossberg pistol grip pumper for close quarters.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Lucifer Box: You can actually get shot for desertion for doing that.

Or maybe apple crumble.

Comment

Lucifer Box: You can actually get shot for desertion for doing that.
                    Sorry, I've lost the thread here, Threaded, shot for what? Throwing your weapon at the enemy, taking off your eye patch, or mortaring a house until it falls down?

Anyways, what it the UK military recommended method for clearing a house in an urban warfare environment (in cases where using a cruise missile is not appropriate, obviously).

Comment

UK preferred method = send in the SAS to do some of thier nifty 360 degree house clearance shooting to kill every armed fecker in the place in less than 1 min

Comment

Working...
                      X