• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying gold - physical vs ETF's?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you get in? You can hold physical gold (just pop down to Hatton Garden and buy some) although I’m told that a lot of dealers are running out of the kind of little ingots and coins small investors like to buy. Otherwise there are London-listed gold exchange-traded funds or there is the Merrill Lynch Gold and General Fund which I have held for years and am resting all my dreams of a happy retirement on.
    This paragraph would seem to indicate get the real thing if you can get your hands on it, otherwise invest in ETF. I'd imagine they should do the same thnig in terms of price, more or less.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Try these guys:

http://www.bullionvault.com

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Buying gold. Still a good medium term investment?

Also, I see that buying gold sovereigns is exempt from any CGT as they are still legal tender. Better than buying into an ETF when it comes to selling up?

Your insightful, relevant and reasoned comments please.

VAT issues used to be relevant on physical holdings. Don't know if it still is though.

Comment

Sneak some Krugerrands in, get a Dodgy VAT Cert and you'll be quids(carats - Shirley) in!

Comment

I've only used my cash ISA allowance this year, I want to use the other £4k now I can stick in stocks and shares.

Whats the best company I should use to sort out my stock ISA thingy ? Initially I just want to find someone where I can I just pick a mid risk investment and use my £4k allowance up, but then in the future I want to be able to be able to more taylor my investments.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
              I've only used my cash ISA allowance this year, I want to use the other £4k now I can stick in stocks and shares.

Whats the best company I should use to sort out my stock ISA thingy ? Initially I just want to find someone where I can I just pick a mid risk investment and use my £4k allowance up, but then in the future I want to be able to be able to more taylor my investments.
              RRH is looking to borrow some money!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                What's your alias ratewhore - I want to see how much gold you've got.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Cash is king at the moment. Commodities are also a bit high. The share bear market should be over by Summer, i.e. once the complete extent of losses are known from the banks. Then selectively invest in shares.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

How tall are you prawn?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                      How tall are you prawn?

Comment

Working...
                      X