• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expensive cars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Need you ask? Look up "cheap 4-door saloon made by VW"
    Bora

Passat for the weekend?
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
      Bora

Passat for the weekend?

Are you Milan?
      Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        Well mine is worth more than most people in the North's houses.. in other words £10 grand
        Oh the North/sh1thole South divide rears it's ugly head once more. I wouldn't be seen dead in a car that cheap, Dodgy, and I'm from up North. What a lack of class ...
        If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
          If I do drive a car to the clients, I have one specially for the task, looks like <10000, but drives >100000.
          Mazda MPS?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Well mine is worth more than most people in the North's houses.. in other words £10 grand
            But you lease your cars, IIRC.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post
              I'm beginning to think thats the way forward for me too.

Any suggestions on a cheap, reliable piece of tulip for the train station?
              I've got a one owner 1992 325i with 80K on the clock that I use during the week. Old BMWs are highly recommended - enough comfort and power for long distances too and if looked after are very reliable - even with high mileages. The older ones have less electronics as well which is also a good thing.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                The correct answer is both; Banger for during the week and parking at the station. Posh classic car for weekends and holidays. Zero depreciation all round.

I tried that once, until I got fed up of paying two lots of car insurance, and only getting time to drive the 'posh' car for perhaps a hour a week in total. Didn't see the point of having all that money depreciating in the garage while having to put up with a banger, so now have a two year old car that suits both tasks.

I know the crux of your suggestion is a classic car that is pretty much depreciation proof, but those cars tend to need a lot of tlc and maintenance, which I neither have the time or ability to do myself.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by 51st State View Post
                  Oh the North/tuliphole South divide rears it's ugly head once more. I wouldn't be seen dead in a car that cheap, Dodgy, and I'm from up North. What a lack of class ...
                  I would prefer to put it "more of a lack of contractors earning me money"
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

You may have been right about 5 years ago where there were certainly plenty of old terraced houses in dodgy areas available for 10/11 grand. Now they're going for 60k or more after loads were bought by btl mugs from down south that probably never even saw what they were buying, and will definately not get much of a return seeing as many end up getting compulsory purchased for 10-20 grand by the council for demolition.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                      You may have been right about 5 years ago where there were certainly plenty of old terraced houses in dodgy areas available for 10/11 grand. Now they're going for 60k or more after loads were bought by btl mugs from down south that probably never even saw what they were buying, and will definately not get much of a return seeing as many end up getting compulsory purchased for 10-20 grand by the council for demolition.

If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

Working...
                      X