• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scotland 15 England 9

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not gloatign or anything, wouldn't have been bothered if we'd lost so see no point in being estatic that we won.

One thing that did occur to me though, which underlined the problem I've always had with English Rugby was the media coverage. Jeremy Guscott before the game was asked what his prediction was and he said something along the lines of there's no chance of an upset today (i.e. England will def win).

Several weeks ago I remember Austin Healey saying something similar before the England Wales game (He ended up doing the take one for the team and copped one right in the nuts).

My point is that there is this assumption, no matter how good or bad the current England team is, that they will always beat their neighbors, which borders on arrogance and shows a lack of respect. I'm not sure the players feel this way (The media for sure), but I wonder if this isn't the case - they play a big team (France) and pull the stops out, they somehow assume they can just turn up and do over Wales or Scotland.

Don't get me started on the commentators (Can they at least pretend not to be biased?)
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
      Don't get me started on the commentators (Can they at least pretend not to be biased?)
      I agree. Will Greenwood and co were blatantly biased during the wc and it hasn't really improved.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
        I agree. Will Greenwood and co were blatantly biased during the wc and it hasn't really improved.
        Knob
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

I'm not gloatign or anything, wouldn't have been bothered if we'd lost so see no point in being estatic that we won.

One thing that did occur to me though, which underlined the problem I've always had with English Rugby was the media coverage. Jeremy Guscott before the game was asked what his prediction was and he said something along the lines of there's no chance of an upset today (i.e. England will def win).

Several weeks ago I remember Austin Healey saying something similar before the England Wales game (He ended up doing the take one for the team and copped one right in the nuts).

My point is that there is this assumption, no matter how good or bad the current England team is, that they will always beat their neighbors, which borders on arrogance and shows a lack of respect. I'm not sure the players feel this way (The media for sure), but I wonder if this isn't the case - they play a big team (France) and pull the stops out, they somehow assume they can just turn up and do over Wales or Scotland.

It might be lack of respect - but I have seen England play badly against "good" teams. IMO it is just lacking the will to win - we do not take it seriously enough.

Comment

Prior to the 6 nations they were extremely valid assumptions. England have garnered some team spirit and seem willing to challenge. The Welsh have spent the last 6 months (if not longer) tearing lumps out of each other and their management. They were so fragile that their new management team (almost) fielded an entire club side, all b eit a good one, against a full international team.
            Not sure here as I havent paid that much attention, but the Scots have been having issues with injury and havent been able to put out a full strength squad and have been in the doldrums for some time. I think they have also had management issues (someone will correct me).
            With all that It is fair to say England were favourites for those games.

As usual England didn't live up to press. That is not to take away from the Scots and Welsh, England were soundly and deservedly beaten in bothe games.
            The Welsh have carried on that form and I would offer hearty congrats on the triple and hopefuly the slam.

I would still suggest the coaches have a word with their squads who seem to be able to up their games when they play England as this suggests they are short changing their support for every other game.

Scotland. I see you still havent got over your racial hatred of the English. Even to the extent that you have bastardised your chosen (laughingly called) national anthem. Why is it every Scot seems to knopw (as do the English) that 66 is ancient history but somehow the 45 is still relevant.
            You realy should learn to define your nation by its great traditions, history and culture instead of by your hatred of one of your neighbours.
            Are England and the English so important in your sad little lives?
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
              Who gives a tulipe about egg chasers.....

What I noticed today was that the BBC had the rugby (minority sport for public schoolboys) broadcast in HD but the FA Cup (national sport) broadcast in tulipty normal digital/anlogue. Hmmmmm... I wonder why....
              Because the benefit cheques of the average chavball supporter don't quite extend to that HD telly (at least just yet)...

HTH
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                The hatred goes both ways...you only have to listen to some of the bigoted comments on here...
                "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Scotland. I see you still havent got over your racial hatred of the English. Even to the extent that you have bastardised your chosen (laughingly called) national anthem. Why is it every Scot seems to knopw (as do the English) that 66 is ancient history but somehow the 45 is still relevant.
                  You realy should learn to define your nation by its great traditions, history and culture instead of by your hatred of one of your neighbours.
                  I don't hate the English, and not quite clear where that came across in my post. In fact I quite like them, generally (Though I do harbour a dislike for the English media when it comes to sport).

Also I'm not sure how you mean bastardised our national anthem, and feck knows what you're on about with 66 (Do you mean 1066? Is this some special code for people in the know? Is it relevant to something beyond your rulers essentially being French for the next several hundred years).

The 45 I assume is 1745, which has nothing to do with the Scottish national anthem, and is as much a Scottish civil/religious war date as it's an English victory over Scotland.

I'd agree that some Scottish people seem to define themselves by their hatred of England, doesn't mean we're all at it, or even those who do actually care that much either way about the English. Who by the way can be as equally parochial and sad.
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Yes. Without English subsidies, the Scots would be much poorer.

HTH
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      Yes. Without English subsidies, the Scots would be much poorer.

HTH
                      But you're an idiot so your opinion does not count...
                      "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Working...
                      X