• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are Pm's needed (loaded question I know)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had very good and very bad managers. The good ones were invaluable, left the team to get on with the work, shielded everyone from the crap from above, understood the limitations of the technology and were able to give informed, realistic and reasonable updates to the client/business.
    The bad ones were TERRIBLE: knew nothing of either the business nor technology they were managing, always looked to point the finger at some poor sucker, only interested in self-promotion and usually ended up being circumvented by their superiors, who would go straight to the organ grinders for an answer.

Comment

Originally posted by 51st State View Post
      Sounds like you haven't got much experience then pal.

It's good to see that the factory-worker "us and them" mentality of drones like you still exist, even in geek world.

Now grunt after me "it's 80% complete, it'll be finished tomorrow".
      Ok, I have duly grunted, Sir!

Now then, grunt after me, Sir:
      • I have no sense of humor
      • I have no concept of irony
      • I don't even know what sarcasm is

You plonker Rodney!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
        Ok, I have duly grunted, Sir!

Now then, grunt after me, Sir:
        • I have no sense of humor
        • I have no concept of irony
        • I don't even know what sarcasm is

You plonker Rodney!
        Wot you said
        If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

Wot you said
          In what respect, Sir?

p.s, the above was meant to be meant to be voiced in the style of the servile droid 'Kryton' of Red Dwarf.

* I have no sense of humor
          * I have no concept of irony
          * I don't even know what sarcasm is

Now may I launder your underpants, Sir?
          Last edited by bogeyman; 28 February 2008, 17:52.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

In what respect, Sir?
            All of it.

I swan about from meeting to meeting with a book under my arm looking important, if not a little cool, and without a real clue about the technology I'm (erm you're) delivering.

In reality, I do very little and add little value I suppose.

You are obviously far cleverer than I am, as you do all of the delivery and all of the hard work.

And that makes me a plonker?

nb - contains sarcasm, irony and that other word I didn't understand.

Comment

You are obviously far cleverer than I am, as you do all of the delivery and all of the hard work.

And that makes me a plonker?

nb - contains sarcasm, irony and that other word I didn't understand.
              I was first a developer 20+ years ago, still do some, but mostly consultancy now.

However, I see you are still a PM, probably.
              Last edited by bogeyman; 28 February 2008, 17:57.

Comment

I was a developer 20+ years ago.

I am no longer a developer. However, I see you are still a PM, probably.
                Gosh - you've hit the heady heights of Senior Developer, or Team Lead or whatever after 20+ years. Well done!

I bet you've seen some change, eh? Remember when all this was fields, do you?

Remind me again in that once-a-developer, always-a-developer manner: which one of is it us that has no sense of humour?

Comment

Gosh - you've hit the heady heights of Senior Developer, or Team Lead or whatever after 20+ years. Well done!

Remind me again in that once-a-developer, always-a-developer manner: which one of is it us that has no sense of humour?

Oh! What was it you did again?
                  Last edited by bogeyman; 28 February 2008, 18:32.

Comment

I always want to be a developer. It s far more fun than a real job.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      I always want to be a developer. It s far more fun than a real job.
                      Well, that's where product gets made.

Assuming you're not just trolling, what would you describe as a 'real' job?

You can 'micro-manage', 'strategize' and 'marketize' all you want. If the product doesn't get properly designed, tested and implemented, by knowledgeable, experienced professionals, then you have SH7T all to sell

Comment

Working...
                      X