• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are Pm's needed (loaded question I know)"

Collapse

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Beeee careful. I suspect Threaded has an apiary the size of Wales.
    There is no honey left for any bee though.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Buzz

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    And an ego the size of Scotland.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Interesting diatribe. Also sounds like another load of typical Threaded Bull(tm).

Have you ever actually kept bees?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Mods, Mods, Mods,

Franko is bullying me

Milan.
    Well that's understandable.

He's a very-well-built rambo squirrel and you are a thin, pallid, tape monkey.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Mods, Mods, Mods,

Franko is bullying me

Milan.
    Francko

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Mods, Mods, Mods,

Franko is bullying me

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied

Milan.
    That's a deeper insight than your usual one.

Thanks Milan.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Well, after reading this thread I would just like to thank many of the contributors for making me astonished at how the minimal level of general knowledge that is required to get by as a contractor is constantly dropping.

I suspect that if I were to suggest that some of you just take a little while out to actually watch some bees working, it may initially require a course in "bee identification".

Common misconceptions.

1) Bee society is flat layered. No, it is in fact pyrimidal, and behave more like an agressive sales unit, i.e. if you don't keep up targets you lose the office and the fancy car.

2) In Bee society everyone gets a share. No, if you don't produce, comes a down turn, you're literally pushed out of the door. Ask any drone in Autumn...

3) In Bee society everyone is a daughter of the queen. No, in the best performing hives the top foragers and scouts are generally recruited from other hives, and literally by word of mouth they recruit other good foragers and scouts.
    Interesting diatribe. Also sounds like another load of typical Threaded Bull(tm).

Have you ever actually kept bees?

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Well, after reading this thread I would just like to thank many of the contributors for making me astonished at how the minimal level of general knowledge that is required to get by as a contractor is constantly dropping.

I suspect that if I were to suggest that some of you just take a little while out to actually watch some bees working, it may initially require a course in "bee identification".

Common misconceptions.

1) Bee society is flat layered. No, it is in fact pyrimidal, and behave more like an agressive sales unit, i.e. if you don't keep up targets you lose the office and the fancy car.

2) In Bee society everyone gets a share. No, if you don't produce, comes a down turn, you're literally pushed out of the door. Ask any drone in Autumn...

3) In Bee society everyone is a daughter of the queen. No, in the best performing hives the top foragers and scouts are generally recruited from other hives, and literally by word of mouth they recruit other good foragers and scouts.
    +5 honey-coated geek points to threaded for this lesson in bee society.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied

Common misconceptions.

That is unbeeeelievable

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Honey Bees and social insects

Common misconceptions.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied

Milan.
    Last edited by milanbenes; 29 February 2008, 08:41.

Leave a comment:

• 51st State
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    Making honey is business as usual and does not require project management. It is service management.

There are an awful lot of people doing "business as usual" and claiming to be PMs.

A project is the act of changing something from one steady state to another, for example, converting the hive to marmalade production. A project manager is someone who knows how to do this with a relatively greater chance of success than Joe Public.

But there ain't that many people with 'Project Manager' on their CV that can do that kind of business change successfully.

Ergo, most "project managers" are, indeed, pants because they are not really project managers.
    And most development is making simple changes to already established code that's been around for 20 years and even has comment blocks in it so that you don't have to think about what a programme already does.

Ergo, most developers are pants, because they aren't developing anything new.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Bee hives don't have 'project manager' bees.
    Making honey is business as usual and does not require project management. It is service management.

There are an awful lot of people doing "business as usual" and claiming to be PMs.

A project is the act of changing something from one steady state to another, for example, converting the hive to marmalade production. A project manager is someone who knows how to do this with a relatively greater chance of success than Joe Public.

But there ain't that many people with 'Project Manager' on their CV that can do that kind of business change successfully.

Ergo, most "project managers" are, indeed, pants because they are not really project managers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X