• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do you do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    I do as little as possible for as much as possible.

HTH.
    That sounds like me. I describe it like the complete opposite to a swan. A swan floats along a pond looking effortless while its legs are working away like a good 'un. Me - I look busy but in reality I'm swanning about with very little real effort.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
      That sounds like me. I describe it like the complete opposite to a swan. A swan floats along a pond looking effortless while its legs are working away like a good 'un. Me - I look busy but in reality I'm swanning about with very little real effort.
      Good description and fairly close to home. Only difference is on this gig is that I have given up even trying to look busy.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie-rookie View Post
        9 posts, not 1 proper answer. weird.
        That's just how this board is I'm afraid.

Newcomers who pop up asking questions are generally ignored, ridiculed or used as a means of hanging some other, unrelated conversation off.

It's not personal, but then it's neither polite nor excusable.

I can be as abrasive as anyone here, but I think when somebody asks a question they should be given due consideration. Until someone has proven themselves to be an a$$hat, why not give them the benefit of the doubt and accord them a modicum of courtesy and consideration?

I'll try to answer your question but need to review it again.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          That's just how this board is I'm afraid.

Newcomers who pop up asking questions are generally ignored, ridiculed or used as a means of hanging some other, unrelated conversation off.

It's not personal, but then it's neither polite nor excusable.

I can be as abrasive as anyone here, but I think when somebody asks a question they should be given due consideration. Until someone has proven themselves to be an a$$hat, why not give them the benefit of the doubt and accord them a modicum of courtesy and consideration?

I'll try to answer your question but need to review it again.
          To be fair though it's not a very well worded question. "What type of contracts do you get?" Well there are any number of answers to that question. Why not try again with something more specific?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            To be fair though it's not a very well worded question. "What type of contracts do you get?" Well there are any number of answers to that question. Why not try again with something more specific?
            Yes. Fair point - but he has to start somewhere.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Many people here prefer to keep their cards close to their chest too and not give away lots of information on what they do and what skills they have etc so will often post a silly reply rather than a serious one.
              It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                Many people here prefer to keep their cards close to their chest too and not give away lots of information on what they do and what skills they have etc so will often post a silly reply rather than a serious one.
                True. But that's a sign of deep insecurity and doubt in ones own abilities.

All the really great people I've worked with (not just in IT) have wanted to shout their knowledge from the rooftops!

The ones who want to keep it 'close to their chests' are the useless feckers!

Comment

I work for an Umbrella Company.

Comment

Originally posted by Katie View Post
                    I work for an Umbrella Company.

Comment

At least you haven't got the jerry can out!

Comment

Working...
                      X