• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Noise in Hotels

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Did it fit?

Fit

How can I put this delicately

pick one of the following

1.It was slightly crusty
    2.It smelled like a dead kipper
    3.It looked like it had been hosting a snails convention

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      Fit

1.It was slightly crusty

so you smelt it then
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Fit

1.It was slightly crusty

What did it taste of though?
        "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          It could be worse - you could be in the same hotel as BrowneIssue
          The only problems I have been experiencing lately are poor Wi-Fi. Well, that and having to wait an hour and a quarter to check in on Sunday 'cos of the bloody football.

The worst we've had lately was in Cardiff the night before an interview last summer. Called "The Big Sleep". It was unbearably hot and we did not sleep at all. There was no way of turning down the heating and the windows didn't open. There was no parking so we had to park in a multi-storey down the road and pay for the privilege. When booking it I had phoned them about parking - they said there was not a problem they lied. The room was light enough to read by during the night - it didn't help that the "curtains" (sheep wool?) did not cover the windows.

( I got the gig but it was terminated the day it was due to start. )

The worst ever was probably Norwich about 10 years ago. Two nights in a Great Western that is on a corner and our room faced 3 night clubs. No sleep before 3:30 a.m. each night. I had booked us in (and paid for) for 3 nights but we couldn't bear it any longer and checked out after 2. I tried to get a refund from Reception but the manageress basically told me to clear off.
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
            Chain hotel or independant?

Travelodge do rooms for £29 per night, pre-pay 2 weeks in advance.....
            It's part of a small chain. I'd prefer an independent one but this is very handy for current gig and I got a good long term rate for B&B, plus the gym is right opposite so I don't want to move really.

It was better last night and my earplugs stayed in.

I'll speak to the manager when I see him - I suspect they are using the room next to mine as a store room - I already moved away from one that was next to a store - the housekeeping staff come and go at all hours day and night and make a lot of noise - I think that may be the source of this one - not helped by some other door-slamming scum on my corridor this week.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
              Get some really good class A drugs, a couple of hookers and a loud sound system and beat them at their own game, see who blinks first ... worst case you'll have a few sleepless nights but a whole lotta fun ;-)
              BTW I like the sound of this idea - I have never done class A drugs, I will ask if reception can help me get some

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                It was unbearably hot and we did not sleep at all.

I had the same problem in a 'penthouse' flat I rented to escape the hotels for a while. Being on the top floor the heat build up when it was sunny was unbelievable. Never again, unless they've fitted air con.

Is there a decent UK wide website for short-term lets? I usually stay in a hotel/b&b for the first month or so a new contract until I can gauge whether I'm likely to be extended. Maybe short term lets (e.g. 3 months) would be a viable option, or are they usually a lot more expensive than normal rentals in the same area?
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Fit

1.It was slightly crusty

Sell it on ebay - people will pay good money for that stuff ...
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

I remember doing a contract in Amsterdam and the people who I was subcontracting for sorted out the hotel for me. It was right in the center which is no bad thing but it was crap. I was given a room on the top floor and there was no lift and the stairs were steeper than Everest. The room itself was about the size of the bed with a desk 12" away with the tele on. You couldn't stand up in the shower due to the sloping roof and although the sink had no plug it didn't really matter as there was normally only cold water. After a couple of weeks I got really fed up and they moved me down a floor. On the second night a load of septic girls came back to the room late at night with one in hysterics. Apparently they had been to a live sex show and this had freaked her out and this continued in various ways over the next few nights. They moved me then to another room, apparently a 'deluxe room.' Well it was a lot larger and had a bigger TV but it also had a window missing which was covered in a plastic. This was in February and overlooking a canal. Even with the fan heater, obviously provided, and fully dressed I still had blue balls in the morning. I packed may bags and moved into the Holiday Inn which was only over the road from where I was working anyway.

The contract was pretty tulip as well. The company had sold them their software on the word of one of their pre-sales guys who I used to work with and knew was a total bulltulipter and nutter but they couldn't find anyone in Europe who actually knew the product and could do the work, apart from me. On a good rate including expenses I took it up. After 3 weeks I knew they had stiched the company up and told them so. After 5 weeks, senior management from both sides had a serious meeting about accountability with me in the middle until I explained in clear and honest terms what the problem was, both were to blame and why. After 6 weeks I had finished converting one application, a reasonably small one, out of 126 and went home. wonder if they ever got it done? I got paid mind you and occasional consulting gigs with the software provider.
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      I remember doing a contract in Amsterdam and the people who I was subcontracting for sorted out the hotel for me. It was right in the center which is no bad thing but it was crap. I was given a room on the top floor and there was no lift and the stairs were steeper than Everest. The room itself was about the size of the bed with a desk 12" away with the tele on. You couldn't stand up in the shower due to the sloping roof and although the sink had no plug it didn't really matter as there was normally only cold water. After a couple of weeks I got really fed up and they moved me down a floor. On the second night a load of septic girls came back to the room late at night with one in hysterics. Apparently they had been to a live sex show and this had freaked her out and this continued in various ways over the next few nights. They moved me then to another room, apparently a 'deluxe room.' Well it was a lot larger and had a bigger TV but it also had a window missing which was covered in a plastic. This was in February and overlooking a canal. Even with the fan heater, obviously provided, and fully dressed I still had blue balls in the morning. I packed may bags and moved into the Holiday Inn which was only over the road from where I was working anyway.

The contract was pretty tulip as well. The company had sold them their software on the word of one of their pre-sales guys who I used to work with and knew was a total bulltulipter and nutter but they couldn't find anyone in Europe who actually knew the product and could do the work, apart from me. On a good rate including expenses I took it up. After 3 weeks I knew they had stiched the company up and told them so. After 5 weeks, senior management from both sides had a serious meeting about accountability with me in the middle until I explained in clear and honest terms what the problem was, both were to blame and why. After 6 weeks I had finished converting one application, a reasonably small one, out of 126 and went home. wonder if they ever got it done? I got paid mind you and occasional consulting gigs with the software provider.
                      What? Sorry could you repeat that?
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X