• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear (tm), Jihad about to be declared on Turkey!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    If by roughly you mean 700 years younger then, yes, roughly it is...
    But Muslims regard the (reported) word of Abraham as the foundation of their faith - by which measure it's the same age as the others, surely?

Comment

kneel at the altar of the FSM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        The combination of Hellenistic rationality with Hebrew faith "Give unto Caeser" etc. which led to the promotion of the sciences and arts giving us in the west the scientific method as opposed to the rhetoric of other traditions.
        You don't think it was the Age of Enlightenment during which the influence of the church started to wane that allowed scientific advancement to take place?

I mean, 1800 years of Christianity = no progress

200 years of Enlightenment = man on the moon among other notable advances

Comment

Originally posted by Bod View Post
          a mate of mine has a t-shirt with the logo (large letters, white on black) "Christiany is Stupid."
          And I'm sure those offended would voice it, perhaps even get into an argument, or perhaps a debate.
          Replace 'Christianity' with 'Islam' on that T-Shirt and see the 'debates' your mate will get into wearing that.
          Now, your mate is wearing that T-Shirt in ostensibly a Christian country. See if he's brave enough to wear the second T-Shirt in an Islamic country. See how far he gets with that one.

My point is this - our society, like it or not, is underpinned by Christian values - many of our laws are built around those principles, whether you're religious or not. And the carrying through of the Hellenistic rationale - excellent point Threaded - has propelled our societies through Philosophy, Enquiry, debate, and later Science, while providing a robust framework allowing for the Enlightenment (post Rome), for the separation of church and state and mutual respect (or at the least, tolerance) of differing viewpoints.

This is the reformation Islam needs to undergo - it may be messy, but it looks like the latest front lines are in Turkey - best of luck to them.
          Last edited by realityhack; 27 February 2008, 15:24. Reason: added the enlightenment bit

Comment

Or the Prophet Zarquon...
            peace be upon it
            Kneel before Bod

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
              My point is this - our society, like it or not, is underpinned by Christian values
              Agree with everything you said RH, and I have no problem with Christian values, only Christian beliefs, or indeed any religious beliefs.

Religious people are inherently irrational and I'm always wary of irrational people.
              Kneel before Bod

Comment

OMG, this is in danger of being a balanced, reasoned debate. Quick, someone have a poll!

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
                  OMG, this is in danger of being a balanced, reasoned debate. Quick, someone have a poll!

Comment

Actually it was us...
                    It's well known that God & Jesus were aliens anyway
                    I didn't know they were lizard monsters though

Comment

Actually it was us...
                      No.

Comment

Working...
                      X