• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

War with Russia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tay View Post
    I actually disagree Snaw, Russia isnt the power they once were, but they can be a pain still, and I do think they have the willpower to be, at the least, annoying.
    Kosovo simply isnt worth it.
    I agree with that - they're still powerful enough not to be dismissed lightly. But they're posturing as if they're still a major player and we should quake in our boots because they're pissed off.

Kosovo in itself isn't worth it, but equally they've had an election and that's what they've chosen. If Scotland decides to go it's own way say, or Catalonia or any other of the small regional areas in Europe is the correct method of protest sabre rattling, and coming out with sh!t like this:

"If the EU develops a unified position or if Nato exceeds its mandate set by the UN, then these organisations will be in conflict with the UN," he said.

In that case Russia would "proceed on the basis that in order to be respected we need to use brute force", he said.
    Sorry, but Russia has to accept it lives in the modern world and that kind of talk isn't acceptable, besides being unrealistic.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
      Sorry, but Russia has to accept it lives in the modern world and that kind of talk isn't acceptable, besides being unrealistic.
      Try telling Putin that.

He's an unreconstructed KGB thug. Who knows what his real agenda is?

I can't help wondering if certain interests in the West aren't involved in hotting up the cold war again.

Since the wall came down, some people think the situation is messy and a bit boring. There's nothing like a well-defined enemy to pep things up!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
        I actually disagree Snaw, Russia isnt the power they once were, but they can be a pain still. ..
        and they could easily stop selling oil and gas to Europe, given that China and India would be only too eager to buy the extra capacity instead.

Seems to me the obvious solution is to split Kosovo and give the north eastern half to Serbia (or make it a Serbian dependency in some sense) and let the South Western half become independent, analogous to Cyprus.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          The US has plenty of reasons to start rattling the saber again. I agree that nobody in the EU would benefit, but remember the UK government are the bitches of Washington and will do the yanks' bidding without hesitation.

The USA's military-industrial complex has fallen upon (comparatively) hard times since the end of the Cold War and feels that something should be done about it.
          AMBO Trans-Balkan Pipeline

Oh and look, at "The Road to Kosovo", Halliburton gets a mention.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
            and they could easily stop selling oil and gas to Europe, given that China and India would be only too eager to buy the extra capacity instead.
            Meaning our economies go pear shaped and the Chinese and Indians lose a massive chunk of their market, meaning they need less oil and gas. it's all interconnected ;-)

Plus unreliable supply is about the biggest shot in the foot the Russians can do to themselves (They've partially done this already).

I sort of agree with most of the statements, I just don't react well to bullies and that's how I percieve Russia these days. The seppos are fcuked but russia is more so IMHO.
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              AMBO Trans-Balkan Pipeline

Oh and look, at "The Road to Kosovo", Halliburton gets a mention.
              Thanks. Interesting.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I think it's more a case of the schoolyard bully being ignored, realizing that the other kids aren't afraid of him anymore, he postures and blusters in an effort to make the other kids take him seriously. Best just to ignore him really.
                After all, he has no friends to back him up anymore, they all want to play with the other kids now, because they have bigger and better toys, and are willing to share.
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                  Glad I never bought that BTL in Bulgaria then. Every cloud and all that...

bg is a small stupid country thaat does whatever told. The flippers are on the US side today, not Russia. Ironically they have always been on the wrong side - hitler , USSR and now US.

There is oil in Kosovo hence US is there. . It is sad how ppl don't see that US is trying to militarize the whole world , mid east , kosovo , bulgaria , and now the missile base in Czech Republic
                  Last edited by 2uk; 22 February 2008, 16:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    UK's last reserve of 1000 soldiers now deployed to Kosovo

Canada announced its intent to pull it's 2500 troops out of Afghansistan creating a void UK may be expected to fill

Ruskies rattling sabres on doorstep of Europe

may you live in interesting times

We will be ok, they haven't got 2 tanks to rub together!!
                    "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
                      We will be ok, they haven't got 2 tanks to rub together!!
                      Tank you
                      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                      X