• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

War with Russia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tay View Post
    I hope you are right. You probably are, I cant see Russia going to war over this. But wouldnt blame them if they did.... spose it doesnt need to be war, they dont recognise Kosovo as an independant nation, so still part of Serbia, and if Serbia invites them in... it would get messy with 2 different 'peace keeping' forces keeping 'peace' for opposing sides in the same province/country. Its just bloody stupid of NATO.
    The problem is not that Russia will launch an all out war, but that it will (once again) destabilize Central Europe and perhaps rekindle local conflicts, as well as souring relations between Russia and the NATO powers.

Not good. Some people just don't know when to let things lay.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
      The problem is not that Russia will launch an all out war, but that it will (once again) destabilize Central Europe and perhaps rekindle local conflicts, as well as souring relations between Russia and the NATO powers.

Yes your scenario is much more likely, good point.

Comment

Possibly, but a lot of the flux that allowed those conflicts to rage is no longer and I'm not sure it would pan out the same way again.

Plus not being funny, but what relationship between NATO and Russia? IMO there is none; Russia is ruled by a dictator who's stirring up trouble, in true dictator fashion, with his neighbours to deflect attention from what he's doing at home.

The guy is a complete menace if you ask me and is the primary reason there is any conflict between the west and Russia. I can't see any reason for it from our side - al we want is a stable, friendly trading partner that doesn't try to assassinate it's detractors on our soil then accuse us of making it up, etc.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Glad I never bought that BTL in Bulgaria then. Every cloud and all that...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
            Possibly, but a lot of the flux that allowed those conflicts to rage is no longer and I'm not sure it would pan out the same way again.

Plus not being funny, but what relationship between NATO and Russia? IMO there is none; Russia is ruled by a dictator who's stirring up trouble, in true dictator fashion, with his neighbours to deflect attention from what he's doing at home.

The guy is a complete menace if you ask me and is the primary reason there is any conflict between the west and Russia. I can't see any reason for it from our side - al we want is a stable, friendly trading partner that doesn't try to assassinate it's detractors on our soil then accuse us of making it up, etc.
            Was it worth pissing off this sleeping grumpy bear over a bunch of Albanian squatters?

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
              Was it worth pissing off this sleeping grumpy bear over a bunch of Albanian squatters?
              I'm not actually that worried about them if I'm honest. Their biggest weapon, resources, would shoot them in the foot as much as hurt us, (The west) and militarily I don't think they'd stand a chance. Yeah they can funnel in resources to fuel conflict but it's not the Russian superpower of yesteryear and they don't have an empire or unlimited control of their people.

They talk a big game but I don't think they're even in the top 3 any more if you took away their nukes.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

I can't see any reason for it from our side - al we want is a stable, friendly trading partner that doesn't try to assassinate it's detractors on our soil then accuse us of making it up, etc.
                When you say 'our side' who do you mean.

The US has plenty of reasons to start rattling the saber again. I agree that nobody in the EU would benefit, but remember the UK government are the bitches of Washington and will do the yanks' bidding without hesitation.

The USA's military-industrial complex has fallen upon (comparatively) hard times since the end of the Cold War and feels that something should be done about it.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

When you say 'our side' who do you mean.

The US has plenty of reasons to start rattling the saber again. I agree that nobody in the EU would benefit, but remember the UK government are the bitches of Washington and will do the yanks' bidding without hesitation.

The USA's military-industrial complex has fallen upon (comparatively) hard times since the end of the Cold War and feels that something should be done about it.
                  So actually Putin is a nice guy and it's all Americas fault?

I'm usually at the front of the line to criticise US foreign policy, but I'd have to say I think Putin is way off the charts worse.

BTW You reckon Litvenenko was a British or US plot then?

Comment

I actually disagree Snaw, Russia isnt the power they once were, but they can be a pain still, and I do think they have the willpower to be, at the least, annoying.
                    Kosovo simply isnt worth it.

Comment

So actually Putin is a nice guy and it's all Americas fault?

I'm usually at the front of the line to criticise US foreign policy, but I'd have to say I think Putin is way off the charts worse.

BTW You reckon Litvenenko was a British or US plot then?
                      No! Clearly Putin is a gangster and a borderline psycho.

However, if we were truly to explore the depths of conspiracy, who's to say that certain interests in the US aren't in cahoots with Putin to up the ante? Good news all round for belligerent, military-based economies!

Comment

Working...
                      X