• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

(Daily Doom) UK on a knife edge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Then the north isn't far behind in property prices now. A 4 bed detached (the current pinnacle of common housing up here) is now well over £200k, some newbuild boxes are closer to £250k.

So because the average salary up north is still some way behind down south, it's no longer cheaper to live up north!

Before the housing boom a 4 bed detached was under £100k up here, whilst down south (e.g. St Albans, on the mainline into London) they were around £250k IIRC.

No wonder there's a migration from north to south.
    In the north west many areas are now more expensive than east Herts, that area hasn't really gone up like some of the South East. I think over the last few years there has been a heavy shift from South to North, maybe it's just starting to reverse again. But, I hear lots of southern accents round here these days.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 20 February 2008, 16:13.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Then

WE ARE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED, DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I am relieved that my mortgage (which is less than most people borrow to buy a car) is paid off next January. I am concerned about the future prospects for my teenaged kids though.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
        X