• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Become an employer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The point about ease of access is crucial I think. Why on earth would someone come and work for MyCo for £X/year when they could go to Accenture/KPMG etc, or go contracting directly?
    To be successful a product is essential I think, but then that's a different model to the one I was proposing, where you're effectively selling labour. Clearly if you have a (good, marketable, in-demand) product then you're selling the product and support/training etc rather than just bums on seats.

Comment

A mate of mine has done it - creative director, technical director and full time sales manager in a ltd earning proper money - employing offshore coders in India and SA to do the bulk of the work, for peanuts. Makes a tidy living. Was scraping by until he employed the sales chap, and now they have almost more work than they can handle.

Comment

Simpler option is to buy £1 share in AtW's SKA, sit back and await the public floatation.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Simpler option is to buy £1 share in AtW's SKA, sit back and await the public floatation.
          Some are waiting for it to float alright. Right down the sewer.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

seems like the gist is that most people think it could be a good earner, but is probably too much bother, given that most contractors earn a decent enough living just managing themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
              seems like the gist is that most people think it could be a good earner, but is probably too much bother, given that most contractors earn a decent enough living just managing themselves.
              Yeah that's the problem with contracting. The gulf between it and permiedom is so big it just keeps on sucking us in. Only a few ever manage to escape into another career path such as starting their own business.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                Yeah that's the problem with contracting. The gulf between it and permiedom is so big it just keeps on sucking us in. Only a few ever manage to escape into another career path such as starting their own business.
                The golden handcuffs
                Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                  Was scraping by until he employed the sales chap, and now they have almost more work than they can handle.
                  Thats the key - a real company lives or dies by its sales, customers have a habit of not falling into your lap
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Currently doing this.

300K turnover, 2 full time staff and sub out some work.

The fun bit is having revenue generated while you take time off.......

Comment

Originally posted by minsky1 View Post
                      Currently doing this.

300K turnover, 2 full time staff and sub out some work.

The fun bit is having revenue generated while you take time off.......
                      What's the gross and net margin like?
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X