• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

.Net gravy train switching tracks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know VB.NET

Does the current VB.NET have all the features of C#, such as extension methods, lambda expressions, object and collection initialisers, implicitly typed local variables, anonymous types etc?

Oh and partial methods.

If not, that would explain most clients sticking with C#.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Does the current VB.NET have all the features of C#, such as extension methods, lambda expressions, object and collection initialisers, implicitly typed local variables, anonymous types etc?

Oh and partial methods.

If not, that would explain most clients sticking with C#.

Yeah, I'm sure it does.

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. Instead of jumping on the C# bandwagon like everyone else, if I stick with VB.net I'll have a nice little niche. Rates will probably be better too if they're struggling to get competent people who haven't jumped to C#.

There, saved myself some work.

My only concern is if the gravy train (which I understand to mean the endless amount of government projects using .net) decides to switch to C# instead of VB.net, which is what I was getting at originally, the work may dry up substantially.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        Yeah, I'm sure it does.

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. Instead of jumping on the C# bandwagon like everyone else, if I stick with VB.net I'll have a nice little niche. Rates will probably be better too if they're struggling to get competent people who haven't jumped to C#.

There, saved myself some work.

My only concern is if the gravy train (which I understand to mean the endless amount of government projects using .net) decides to switch to C# instead of VB.net, which is what I was getting at originally, the work may dry up substantially.
        Not really because any .Net developer worth their salt will be able to use both languages.

Comment

Originally posted by dotnetter View Post
          Not really because any .Net developer worth their salt will be able to use both languages.

I doubt that. Many will only cross over if they're in a contract where they are exposed to the other one, or take upon themselves to learn something they may need in future, but then there's the issue of keeping sharp in a language you're not using day in day out.

I've been in a couple of contracts where I've had to support an existing C# project and didn't have any problem. I'm less confident about creating something from scratch in C# without needing to check everything, or someone competent coming along and laughing their wig off at the mess.

Maybe if I put both languages on my CV but make it clear I'm mainly from a VB.net background some hirers will acknowledge the similarities with .net and not see it as a major drawback that I don't have years of experience coding C#.
          Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by dotnetter View Post
            Okay, I'm interested. What's the following snippet in VB.NET?

Code:
            Func<int, bool> myFunc = x => x == 5;
                bool result = myFunc(4); // returns false of course
            and

Code:
            var person = new { ID =1,
            Name = "John Smith",
            Age = 37,
            Height = 1.34};

Comment

Code:
              and

Code:
              Name = "John Smith",
              Age = 37,
              Height = 1.34};

You'll have to sub-contract us if you want us to do your work.
              Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post

You'll have to sub-contract us if you want us to do your work.

Comment

Code:
                  and

Code:
                  Name = "John Smith",
                  Age = 37,
                  Height = 1.34};
                  I'm still awaiting the ".NET gurus who are fluent in C# and VB.NET" to show me the equivalent code in VB.NET.

Comment

I'm still awaiting the ".NET gurus who are fluent in C# and VB.NET" to show me the equivalent code in VB.NET.
                    Code:
                    Dim x As Func(Of Integer, Boolean) = Function(y As Integer) y = 5
                    Dim result As Boolean = x(5)
                    Last edited by dotnetter; 18 February 2008, 16:06.

Comment

They're clearly swamped with too much VB.NET development work to bother with nonsense like this.

Comment

Working...
                      X