• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hotel rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have to agree with Not So Wise; it's pretty shameful. Whatever happened to decency and concern for one's fellow man?
    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
      Have to agree with Not So Wise; it's pretty shameful. Whatever happened to decency and concern for one's fellow man?
      Joking apart, yes, of course, it is quite distasteful.

Comment

Morally wrong yes, and could yet bring a lot of bad press to those hotels involved.

Its not going to stop me applying for the glut of Business Continuity / Disaster Recovery jobs that will be appearing on Jobserve at inflated rates over the coming week though.

Comment

Economics versus PR

Ken cancels congestion charge at a time when it is especially necessary to keep the roads clear (and people will least mind paying because it's a one-off emergency.) As I was expecting gridlock, I would have put it up for the day, if that was possible. Ken's action was good politics/PR but bad economics/traffic management. (Though as it turned out, the roads were clear anyway. Maybe because the police closed roads into London.)

Hotels put up prices: this is exactly the correct thing to do when demand starts rising above expected level, to maximise your profit, which is what you have an obligation to do; and the computers/managers making the decisions probably aren't the owners so don't have the right to give those profits away, unless they can justify it on PR grounds. If we assume there aren't going to be enough hotel rooms to go round (though in fact I think most people found in the end they could get home) then it is right that rooms be "rationed" so that the people who "need" them most get them, and the right way to do that is to raise prices. (As I alluded earlier, though knowing nothing about hotel trade, I would imagine that hotels have computers that automatically vary prices with demand.)

Managers who could PR-justify giving away profits in this case because of the exceptional reasons for the unexpected demand increase should have given the extra money to charity; and made it very clear to all and sundry they were doing so; but they should definitely not have kept prices down. (Keeping prices down would also have solved the PR problem, but would not have resulted in the rooms going to those who needed them most.)
          Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 8 July 2005, 13:10.

Comment

Didnt they hang or shoot profiteers in the last war, hopefully nobody repealed the legislation and terrorism is covered.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

They invented special taxes for people and companies who were deemed to have made excessive profits.

It was used by the Labour party to chop the legs out of several industries, notably the Steel industry, so that they could be nationalised.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

The normal concerns of the market economy shouldn't apply at such moments. At such times, I'd like to think that we were able to transcend mercenary thoughts and instead concentrate on helping people in desperate need. I'm all for making money, but there has to be dignity, compassion and sensitivity as well.

My God, I'm turning into a pinko leftie
                Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Hotels put up prices: this is exactly the correct thing to do when demand starts rising above expected level, to maximise your profit, which is what you have an obligation to do;
                  Under normal circumstances yes.
                  Under extream circumstances like war, terrorist attacks or widescale emergancy when mass amounts of people are being extreamly affected in negative ways and taking advantage of it to make excessive profits beyond what they could expect normally or even abnormaly (as all hotels would have 100% occupancy anyway last night anyway) is profiteering.

Comment

While I agree the very essence of a business is to maximise profits, I feel disheartened to think that while there is still human interaction in business that under extreme conditions such as yesterday, some people might not be a little more sympathetic.
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X