• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ISP to ban illegal downloads

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    Does this include movies ... ahem... adult and otherwise?
    .flv files are exempt from all limits on downloads, IIRC
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

A couple of years ago I received a polite e-mail from my ISP (Pipex ) asking me nicely to desist from making music available on the FTP server I was running.

Ironically the music had been downloaded from Pipex's own binaries groups.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Numpty, there will be mobile broadband on tube too - it is just a matter of time.

What you don't understand, numpty, is that mobile companies right now make a killing on voice traffic with limited minutes, which will be completely put into VoIP once speeds increase, so mobile companies will have to change their models, there will be effectively free unlimited phone calls inside country so they will have to compete on something else - they will become broadband providers.

That's why you can see how they all bought landline broadband providers in anticipation of this scenario.

Oh and one more - of course you will be able to record songs you like that you hear on mobile broadband radio for offline use, this will allow for music playing when (for whatever reason) there is no connection.
        Right so you want me to believe that mobile companies will have 100% mobile coverage including through tunnels and in various underground systems (including sewers and mines) throughout the world in the next 10 years. You will also get full coverage on airplanes and in the middle of the ocean on boats and ferries. There will be no need for anybody to locally store any of their music whatsoever....

I'll believe it when I see it comrade!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
          Does this include movies ... ahem... adult and otherwise?
          IIRC the adult entertainment industry doesn't give two hoots about the illegal downloads, they just see it as another advertising opportunity.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
            Right so you want me to believe that mobile companies will have 100% mobile coverage including through tunnels and in various underground systems (including sewers and mines) throughout the world in the next 10 years.
            If they cover 95% of use-time in this country then it will be enough.

As I said above it will be possible to record what you like for offline play, already it is possible - just with online radio you don't need to decide what you want before you go and select on your way when you are bored.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
              Ironically the music had been downloaded from Pipex's own binaries groups.
              They were taking out the competition
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                If they cover 95% of use-time in this country then it will be enough.

As I said above it will be possible to record what you like for offline play, already it is possible - just with online radio you don't need to decide what you want before you go and select on your way when you are bored.
                My point was that people will still want music for offline play, and people have been able to record music for offline play since magnetic tapes were available. This has not had a significant impact on on the records labels for the past 20 years, why would this change when mobile broadband becomes available?

Comment

My point was that people will still want music for offline play, and people have been able to record music for offline play since magnetic tapes were available. This has not had a significant impact on on the records labels for the past 20 years, why would this change when mobile broadband becomes available?
                  I think i had more "pirate" music when i was a teenager and didn't have any internet access. Local library had tapes and CD's to rent out for 20p for a week. Was a simple task to take a few home, copy them and then take them back.

In fact it was probably marginally quicker than downloading them on a dialup connection
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

My point was that people will still want music for offline play
                    And this relates to CD sales exactly how? CDs are going down - flash is taking the space and even in cars CD players are not exactly getting super popular - people connect their iPods to cars these days, so CD sales will plummet even more than they do now.

Comment

Hmmm Am I the only bloke that pays for downloads and still buys an occasional CD?

I reckon ISPs should make proper provision for file sharers and gamers - surely everyone could benefit?

As for itunes it's true it's not CD quality - you can back up the files, though and they are licensed for up to 5 computers - So one paid for download exists on my three machines and and ipod as well as backed up. You can also remove the DRM if you can be bothered, although there's a further small loss of quality.

They do have a rip off pricing policy though and they prevent you from using the US site to get cheaper downloads (though I think this is going to change).

Irony of ironies, they insist on calling the popular beat combo known as Suede "the London Suede" because some small-time pub singer in the US had already registered the name there. Go figure - pay UK prices - can't use US site, but must still call bands by stupid American names.....

Comment

Working...
                      X