• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bobby Fischer.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2uk View Post
    lizards are not supposed to understand people with 200 IQ . It is nature thing.
    0.200 ?
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Fischer was quoted as saying, "I read a book lately by Nietzsche and he says religion is just to dull the senses of the people. I agree."

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        Fischer was quoted as saying, "I read a book lately by Nietzsche and he says religion is just to dull the senses of the people. I agree."
        Fischer was quoted as saying a great number of things that would tend to suggest he was three stops beyond Barking, so I shouldn't place too much credence in anything he said that wasn't directly to do with chess. (The old Appeal to Authority fallacy. Google it, learn it, live it.) If you listened to all he had to say you'd have to believe he was a rabid Jew-hater and thought 9/11 was a good thing.

The USSR had a really good chess set-up in the 1960s/70s, the West didn't. You can moan about them playing collectively but that's like moaning about how London's American Football team doesn't have a prayer of winning the Super Bowl.

Fischer played a rematch against Spassky (meaningless in world chess terms - times had moved on since 1972) in Yugoslavia, when the country was supposed to be boycotted. That's why the Americans were cross with him.

I wish, I wish, Fischer had played competitive chess after 1972. He was an absolute genius and - if he'd still had the spark - could have played for many more years at the top flight. He wasn't even thirty. Unfortunately he seemed to regard winning the world title as the finish of his life's work and the match terms he insisted on before he'd sit down against Karpov in 1975 absolutely guaranteed that the match would not take place. (Shorn of extraneous verbiage they read "The first to win ten games takes the title, but Fischer starts with the score at 1-0 to him". Of course that's not exactly how it was phrased, but that was what it amounted to in effect.)

Sadly, a tortured genius and not really fit to be let out without a minder, but a genius nonetheless who achieved an astonishing amount in his short career. Winning his World Championship quarter- and semi-finals by 6-0 was only part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Yes a hero of the free world who thrashed the communists and showed individualism is better than than the collective.
          Only odd thing is that he was wanted in the "free world" for playing chess without permission.

Now it strikes me that he probably quite liked playing chess and also that playing chess never really should have been considered a crime in the first place. This might explain why he wasn't keen on the US Government/Jews, so the people complaining about his speaking out against them are probably being a bit harsh.

Thinking about it a bit more, the king being the most important piece is inherently sexist, the whole blacks against the whites thing is indefensible, and chess totally glorifies violence and knife crime. Can't be long before Labour bans this disgraceful excuse for a game...

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
            Thinking about it a bit more, the king being the most important piece is inherently sexist, the whole blacks against the whites thing is indefensible, and chess totally glorifies violence and knife crime. Can't be long before Labour bans this disgraceful excuse for a game...
            Bring back "Battle Chess"!!!

Oh yes!

"Queen shags Bishop to death"!

Comment

Working...
            X