• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

average speed cameras

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
    I know of one person who was caught in the average speed trap in Wales and another in the M4 stretch recently. However, sometimes the cameras are off, which you can usually tell by the fact that they have bin liners over them.

NN
    I’ve recently been informed that the Wales (constabulary?) have a zero tolerance policy for speeding offences. Fortunately where I live the policy is not to convict for anything less than 35 mph on a 30 mph road. Regarding motorway speed cameras, the new ones are digital (no film) and are linked to somewhere by wire, not with someone collecting the film, and you can get a speeding ticket the next day. I believe they were not switched on until recently for some reason, don’t recall why.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Fortunately where I live the policy is not to convict for anything less than 35 mph on a 30 mph road.
      That's in accordance with the unofficial guidance given by ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) of speed limit + (10% of speed limit) + 2mph as the threshold for prosecution. Note that this is not enshrined in any legislation, and cannot be relied on, but in practise it's the way all forces operate.

So, for the mathematically challenged among us, the speeds you can probably get away with at various limits are:

30mph => 35mph
      40mph => 46mph
      50mph => 57mph
      60mph => 68mph
      70mph => 79mph

although in all circumstances you can be prosecuted for driving too fast for conditions (so for example 50mph on a motorway could be enough to see you in court in busy conditions and/or bad weather).

Furthermore, the chance of causing serious injury to a pedestrian is significantly higher at 35mph than at 30mph, and significantly lower at 25mph.

So although these guidelines may offer a suggestion as to what you might be able to get away with, they should be considered irrelevant in comparison to the golden rule:

Don't drive like an arse.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        That's in accordance with the unofficial guidance given by ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) of speed limit + (10% of speed limit) + 2mph as the threshold for prosecution. Note that this is not enshrined in any legislation, and cannot be relied on, but in practise it's the way all forces operate.

Don't drive like an arse.
        Most police forces will also operate random "zero tolerance" weeks.... just to keep drivers on the ball/taking the piss
        The tolerance there is to allow for inaccurate (but still within legal limits) speedometers, momentary lapses in concentration
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

... but in practise it's the way all forces operate.
          FFS. Not in Wales. Wot I said. [Perhaps not all of Wales, I don't recall the exact wording used], but in parts there's a zero tolerance policy - that includes 31 mph.

So forget the arithmetic lessons and check your local area. You may also get an idea from the way others are driving. E.g. doing 29 mph when everyone else is doing 34 mph = pain in the arse for all concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            FFS. Not in Wales. Wot I said. [Perhaps not all of Wales, I don't recall the exact wording used], but in parts there's a zero tolerance policy - that includes 31 mph.
            That would be an absolute walkover to challenge in court - there's no way they can guarantee that their equipment is so finely calibrated and operated to within such a degree of accuracy in the variable conditions found in the field.

Any competent lawyer could have a 31mph speeding charge thrown out in a couple of minutes... which is why ACPO recommends using the (+ 10% +2) tolerance.

Comment

That would be an absolute walkover to challenge in court - there's no way they can guarantee that their equipment is so finely calibrated and operated to within such a degree of accuracy in the variable conditions found in the field.

Any competent lawyer could have a 31mph speeding charge thrown out in a couple of minutes... which is why ACPO recommends using the (+ 10% +2) tolerance.
              Perhaps so, I'm only stating the facts, how well they relate to reality I've no idea. The only references I've found so far (from the net) are indirect ones, mostly from the press, though convictions of 33mph appear to have occurred.

Comment

Working...
              X