• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google AdSense & PPC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    So is this a good example of what may potentially generate some good revenue?

No particular reason for choosing this site but I remembered they had good content and a fair number of ad's.

So is this combination to go for?
    Informative and relevant content to bring in the users which in turn brings in the advertisers.

If so, how do these ad's work?
    Would the site get revenue just for displaying them or only when clicked or a combination of both.
    Some advertisers pay per click, some pay per 1000 impressions and some will pay just to have a banner on the site, the more prominent the more they pay. I get a lot of fabulous deal - 'link exchange' emails from people offering me a link on their 'links page' which has 500 other links on a page 5 clicks away from their homepage - in exchange for...... a banner at the top of my homepage!!

I send them an email back saying I have a better idea which is why don't they just send me £50 in exchange for me sending them 25p

They'll look at things like your Google page rank and Alexa score which are measures of how much traffic you get.

Another thing you can do with a high traffic and high page rank site is set up a directory with differing tiers for links to other people's sites like:
    • Free link but will not be 'reviewed' and included in the directory in a hurry (can be months)
    • Free link if they link back to you (reciprocal) - reviewed in 48 hours-1 week
    • Paid listing - for $9.99 they get 'reviewed' and included within 24-48 hours
    • 'Sponsored listing' - $49.99 guaranteed review within 24 hours and the link shows up above the non sponsored links

If you look at this list of directories you can see that the higher page rank ones can charge more for a listing.
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      No particular reason for choosing this site but I remembered they had good content and a fair number of ad's.
      Really?

It's far too busy for me. I wouldn't be bookmarking this site unless I had a compelling reason.

tim

Comment

Social shopping

Interesting concept.

Comment

Originally posted by NoddY View Post
          Instead of populating the Internet with meaningless junk for clicks, why don't people create something meaningful? They'll have contributed to civilisation they'll feel better in themselves.
          Indeed - a friend of mine has spent several years building up a site related to his photography business with no spammy tricks, just useful content (tutorials, reviews, etc.) updated as necessary and added to on a regular basis. Not only has he achieved high search engine placement which drives real-world business to him, he actually makes enough from Google AdSense to cover all his household bills (no mortgage - he used to be a contractor - but Council Tax, water charges, fuel charges and so forth).

He also gets given a lot of free kit (or, from the tighter corporations, loans of kit) in the hope that he'll review it positively - and they don't even ask for it back when he pans it, so he makes a few bob from eBay too

Google has recently taken further steps to prevent spammy ad farms earning anything from them. For those looking for a get-rich-quick scheme, try somewhere else; that gravy train has left.

Comment

Working...
          X