• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google AdSense & PPC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Adsense is for numpties who can't be bothered to learn about Internet marketing and think that get rich quick really exists.

I think the guy behind PlentyOfFish might be an exception, though maybe there are other ways he could maximise those 30+ million hits a day!?

http://www.highscalability.com/plent...h-architecture

PlentyOfFish is a hugely popular on-line dating system slammed by over 45 million visitors a month and 30+ million hits a day (500 - 600 pages per second). But that's not the most interesting part of the story. All this is handled by one person, using a handful of servers, working a few hours a day, while making $6 million a year from Google ads.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Actually, there must be a way of scamming Google's Adsense by building a site containing a selection of ads, and writing an automated script to click on those ads thus generating money.

I'm sure Google have thought of this scam, but with intelligent use of proxies or other forms or spoof IP addresses, I'm sure someone out there is making a killing. If only I were more intelligent.
      Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

no worries - I'll have a dig around my HD when I get home and send you some stuff.

Here's one that's widely considered as a must read:

http://myss.sitesell.com/

Here's a good one for copywriting:

http://mycps.sitesell.com/

And here's another one for affiliate marketing:

http://aff-masters.sitesell.com/

A very good thing to do is get a Google analytics account and install the code on the site then start getting used to tracking your traffic.

It will tell you entry points, keywords they are finding you from, length/depth of visit, even where they click

Testing and tracking is very important, I'm currently learning all about A-B split testing, multivariate and taguchi testing.. fun fun fun!

Join this forum here as well:

http://www.warriorforum.com/forum/

There's enough to keep you busy while flying round the world at least 8 times
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          I think the guy behind PlentyOfFish might be an exception, though maybe there are other ways he could maximise those 30+ million hits a day!?

http://www.highscalability.com/plent...h-architecture
          This is the kind of thing the GRQ gurus use on their sales pages - that's nice traffic to have, especially seeing as the keywords are competitive and pay well.

I don't see the people who make MFA sites making another plenty of fish type of project...

Revenue model has been to use Google ads. Match.com, in comparison, generates $300 million a year, primarily from subscriptions. POF's revenue model is about to change so it can capture more revenue from all those users. The plan is to hire more employees, hire sales people, and sell ads directly instead of relying solely on AdSense.
          Very wise

Actually, there must be a way of scamming Google's Adsense by building a site containing a selection of ads, and writing an automated script to click on those ads thus generating money.

I'm sure Google have thought of this scam, but with intelligent use of proxies or other forms or spoof IP addresses, I'm sure someone out there is making a killing. If only I were more intelligent.
          It's been tried and they are very hot on things like that. Thing is once your adsense account is banned you have to take on pretty much a completely new identity to get a new one so if you're kicked out of Adsense that's it..

What people actually do is pay people in India and China to click on their ads. Click fraud is a cat and mouse game, but I think Goog are quite good at it.
          Last edited by Jog On; 29 January 2008, 17:18.
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

What people actually do is pay people in India and China to click on their ads. Click fraud is a cat and mouse game, but I think Goog are quite good at it.

Or they just pass on the charges to those paying for the adverts. How can the advertiser really be sure their click charges are from genuine punters, they've only got Google's word for it. Wouldn't be suprised if Google have automated clicking set up themselves to fleece the mugs paying silly money per click.

If there are supposedly millions of home PCs being used to send spam, I'm sure the same machines could be utilised for a bit of ad clicking. Probably a case that those getting away with it are doing so because no-one knows how they're doing it!
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

How can the advertiser really be sure their click charges are from genuine punters,
              Easy - they get 0% conversion. So they add sites on which those non-performing fake ads are to their exclusion list, and Google forms an opinion on the basis of this list. Because if advertisers were making money from those ads they would never add them to exclusion list.

Comment

Maybe a bit off topic, but what advertising platforms do people use to generate income from commonly worded domain sites (like property.com)?

Assuming they don't run, say, an online property site - they just have a holding page with ads on it.
                Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
                  Maybe a bit off topic, but what advertising platforms do people use to generate income from commonly worded domain sites (like property.com)?

Assuming they don't run, say, an online property site - they just have a holding page with ads on it.
                  If it gets decent traffic you can sell ad space for banners, Adsense are funny about things like holding pages, I think Yahoo have an alternative to Adsense but don't know much about it.

You could throw up a few paragraphs and put Kontera ads in - again I don't know what they're like about holding pages.

Comment

If it gets decent traffic you can sell ad space for banners, Adsense are funny about things like holding pages, I think Yahoo have an alternative to Adsense but don't know much about it.

You could throw up a few paragraphs and put Kontera ads in - again I don't know what they're like about holding pages.
                    So is this a good example of what may potentially generate some good revenue?

No particular reason for choosing this site but I remembered they had good content and a fair number of ad's.

So is this combination to go for?
                    Informative and relevant content to bring in the users which in turn brings in the advertisers.

If so, how do these ad's work?
                    Would the site get revenue just for displaying them or only when clicked or a combination of both.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      High volume, low price items typically. It's mainly to do with hand-made crafts and things like that - so there aren't any easy affiliates that I can think of. .
                      Books?

Don't you get comission from Amazon if you refer someone who buys something.

I see plenty of people doing this.

tim

Comment

Working...
                      X