• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Welcome to America...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
    Watched the story this morning on GMTV...they really did try to make something out of nothing from this havent they?

Mailman
    Agreed, Im pretty sure the same would happen in the UK if it was someone here from the US with kids, ie put in a home or something for a couple of days. What I dont understand is what the mum expected to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      Ah, I think I remember seeing your home movie, Canonball Run

You the fella with the moustache or the fella dressed as a priest?

Go Bandit, Go.
      Ah the youth of today.
      Back in those days (80s) you could pick up a car that needed delivering from East to West coast. The car you got was pot luck but it was free and you had a time limit for the delivery. Second time round we got a crappy Dodge estate (if memory serves me)
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Americans are soooo unwelcoming - why would anyone want to visit?

Apart from disneyworld of course.
        I disagree. I lived in America for a few years, and loved it.

Off to New York on Thursday for a long weekend shopping with MrsF, and looking forward to it.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Back in my misspent youth many moons ago a mate and I drove a Camarro from the East to the West Coast (we loved it so much we did it again 2 years later). I found the Yanks to be amazingly open, hospitable and friendly.
          Sad to see how things have changed
          Yes about half of em' are... the rest are ignorant ******, I was on another forum where they were moaning about gas prices of over $3 a US gallon, none of them had heard of the Hirsch report nor would they accept that the war in Iraq was about oil, they were all going on about how much their Camaro is going to cost to run if it ever hit $4 a gallon... they're in for a whole world of pain and they can’t see it coming.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            I disagree. I lived in America for a few years, and loved it.

Off to New York on Thursday for a long weekend shopping with MrsF, and looking forward to it.
            Yeah I worked out there for a while and also loved it despite my initial trepidation. Fantastic place.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
              Agreed, Im pretty sure the same would happen in the UK if it was someone here from the US with kids, ie put in a home or something for a couple of days. What I dont understand is what the mum expected to happen.
              And listening to the kids talk this morning they didnt sound like they were traumatized at all...just had to put up with being asked "like some scary questions" and so on.

And yes, what do people expect to happen when a family drops in to town and mum falls ill?

And where was the father during all this?

NOW that is the real story!

Mailman

Comment

That was a Trans Am. I drove across in a Camaro (my own). That was fun.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  I drove across in a Camaro (my own). That was fun.
                  I drove across in one of these. Not very exciting although the hand brake was where I would have expected the clutch to be.

Comment

I spent a month in California when I was 16. I found it to be a singularly repressive place. Probably more fun if you're over 21.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Sure it wasn't Transamerica ?

I'm glad things turned out well for sasguru and his son in the end
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X