• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jeremy Clarkson

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    This was an observation I took away whilst working in Norway recently, manufacturing was at a level the UK has not seen in years. Even though the cost was production was high there was no shortage of customers.

The pride they had in their work nearly brought a tear to this engineer's eye...

Dyson recently tried to build an engineering school in Bath only to be turned down by the government, he's been offered a patch of ground for his school in the US.

Doomed.
    Exactly! If JC was in charge he would have made sure it went ahead! This is why JC must be PM!

Comment

What everyone seems to miss when discussing the loss of a manufacturing base, is that if we're ever in a situation (eg war) where we need a large manufacturing base to quickly turnaround to making planes, munitions, tanks etc etc then we're ****ed.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        This was an observation I took away whilst working in Norway recently, manufacturing was at a level the UK has not seen in years. Even though the cost was production was high there was no shortage of customers.

The pride they had in their work nearly brought a tear to this engineer's eye...

Dyson recently tried to build an engineering school in Bath only to be turned down by the government, he's been offered a patch of ground for his school in the US.

Doomed.
        Details? As far as I can establish he's been subject to local authority planning laws like anyone - and not turned down, sent to an enquiry like any large plan of this type that involves demolishing listed buildings - but maybe you know more?

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
          Generally speaking though he's an un empathetic, small minded/little englander, who, when he gets serious, talks a load of bollocks. He's also extremely polarising, those who love him - white, middle class, middle aged, grumpy old men as far as I can tell - really relate, everyone else thinks he's an absolute tw@t.

Just my 2c.
          A public schoolboy. They're still prats, still own the country.

Just my tuppence worth.

Comment

Manufacturing output in real terms is about the same as it was in the 1970's. Britain's manufacturing base hasn't declined at all, it has remained about the same. A lot of companies have been taken over by foreign companies. Britain, thanks, to Japanese manufacturers is a net exporter of cars; in the 1970's it was a net importer. However employment in manufacturing has declined due, mainly due to automation and general productivity improvements, as anywhere else.

If were one to argue about this it should be whether manufacturing in real terms should grow; most of Britain's growth is in services. The "decline" of manufacturing is not a valid debate; it should be renamed the lack of growth in manufacturing. However per $ earned services provide far more jobs.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Compulsory Meccano lessons in schools, that's what we need.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Manufacturing output in real terms is about the same as it was in the 1970's. Britain's manufacturing base hasn't declined at all, it has remained about the same. A lot of companies have been taken over by foreign companies. Britain, thanks, to Japanese manufacturers is a net exporter of cars; in the 1970's it was a net importer. However employment in manufacturing has declined due, mainly due to automation and general productivity improvements, as anywhere else.

If were one to argue about this it should be whether manufacturing in real terms should grow; most of Britain's growth is in services. The "decline" of manufacturing is not a valid debate; it should be renamed the lack of growth in manufacturing. However per $ earned services provide far more jobs.
                Crikey - some reasoned analysis! - cool (Clarkson wouldn't approve - it's not shouty enough)

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  A public schoolboy. They're still prats, still own the country.

Just my tuppence worth.
                  One of the advantages of being educated at public school is that you can go through life without carrying a chip on your shoulder.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    One of the advantages of being educated at public school is that you can go through life without carrying a chip on your shoulder.
                    'Course you can, you get a pleb to carry things....

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                      That is total rrrrs - they had a hand but they didn't do it alone.

Linky
                      One of my neighbours worked for BL in the 70's. What he saw wasn't just a management versus union battle. The production management wouldn't listen to the service guys, and the design guys looked down on all the rest with disdain.

One of the "finer" examples of this lack of co-operation was the location of the brake master cylinder on the Morris Minor. It was under the floor. Manufacturing reluctantly agreed to cut a hole in the floor and stick a removable plate there for access, like, er, to top up the fluid. Meanwhile that master cylinder was jammed up above one of the front suspension torsion bars, so according to the workshop manual you were supposed to dismantle the suspension to remove the thing.

Just the recipe for success on an economy model.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X