• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mighty Mouse - A new species?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    We had moles in our garden once and my dad set traps for them. He told us how the traps worked, often not killing it and just holding it there until it just died through lack of food etc. He also told us that they have really sharp claws. One day one of the traps fired off and my little brother ran over and pulled it out of the ground. There wriggling in the trap was this mole. He took it to the patio and let it out. The mole made a bid for freedom, back to the grass while he tried to stop it by pushing it back with his foot (wary of the claws). In the end he smashed its head in with a lump hammer - much more humane than letting it starve to death in a mole trap. Then the dog ate it. Nice!

Absolute class.
    Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
      We had moles in our garden once and my dad set traps for them. He told us how the traps worked, often not killing it and just holding it there until it just died through lack of food etc. He also told us that they have really sharp claws. One day one of the traps fired off and my little brother ran over and pulled it out of the ground. There wriggling in the trap was this mole. He took it to the patio and let it out. The mole made a bid for freedom, back to the grass while he tried to stop it by pushing it back with his foot (wary of the claws). In the end he smashed its head in with a lump hammer - much more humane than letting it starve to death in a mole trap. Then the dog ate it. Nice!
      That's the problem with the mole traps in this country, far too weak to dispatch the moles and therefore inhumane IMO. My Dad hired a mole catcher once, was a lady and she used to import her traps from Holland. I used to go around the fields with her to show her where the little devils were. My Dad asked if we could buy some traps off her and from then on I did all the mole trapping. Had a quick search and you can see the traps here:
      http://www.frenchentree.com/france-d...e.asp?ID=13134

Much more effective. I used to get £5 a mole
      my ferret is your ferret

Comment

You need to think laterally with moles. It's called "concrete".
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
          You need to think laterally with moles. It's called "concrete".
          Vertically, surely?

Comment

One would assume that moles employ vertical and lateral movement in their tunnel-digging lawn-wrecking fests.

Unless of course they have mastered the art of levitation, which, although admirable, has not ever been recorded by the likes of Bill Oddie or David Attenborough. Although there may be a sinister motive for that.

Void Reaver Down ! Another Guild 1st !

Friday Night is Drunken Kara run on Teamspeak...can't wait...
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by ferret View Post
              ... Had a quick search and you can see the traps here:
              http://www.frenchentree.com/france-d...e.asp?ID=13134
              Following the link it says:

"Every year, at least 20,000 people in France are injured in some way as a result of trying to kill moles"

May I humbly suggest, we should be using humane mole traps and shipping our moles live to France. The moles are doing sterling work over there!
              Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

2006 Darwin Award Nominee
                Confirmed True by Darwin

(10 January 2007, East Germany) A 63-year-old man's extraordinary effort to eradicate a mole from his property resulted in a victory for the mole. The man pounded several metal rods into the ground and connected them to a high-voltage power line, with the intent of rendering the subterranean realm uninhabitable. Incidentally, the maneuver electrified the very ground he stood upon. He was found dead at his holiday property on the Baltic Sea. Police had to trip the main circuit breaker before venturing onto the property. The precise date of the sexagenarian's demise could not be ascertained, but the electricity bill may provide a clue.
                Don't do this!
                It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Working...
                X