• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Herniated/Slipped disc and Sciatica

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the L4/L5 prolapse and get the sciatica/herniation problems occassionally. Last years episode must have aged me 10 years with the pain!

The main problem I have is muscle wasting in left leg due to sciatic nerve compression causing neural interference. Anyone else had this misfortune?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Am suffering from this at the moment. Sitting at the computer makes it worse.

I guess my limbo dancing days are over. Anyone had this treated (MRI scans and surgery) or do I have to walk round like I have a carrot up my @rse for the rest of my years.

Bloody old age.
      If this is recent then check the diagnosis, most back pain is caused by a swollen disc, not prolapsed, though it might feel like a ruptured disc. It can still be extremely painful, and you can still have a painful leg. Can be solved with a bit of patience and exercises. Some surgeons are a bit "gung-ho" with the knife.

Usually if you can walk it is a slipped disc, a ruptured disc usually leaves you immobile for a while, well my mother was anyway.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 10 January 2008, 12:14.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

I suffer from a bad back and had an MRI scan - wear and tear on lower discs, not going to get any better.

However, as I've said before, these help tremendously if you spend all your time in IT, even when your back hurts, sitting in one of these gets your posture right and relieves the spasms.

http://www.posturite.co.uk/Posturite...tegory/Chairs/

Also, I found the seating in my car wasn't correct and I was constantly leaning forward to change gear. I bought a TVR and now the endorphins produced remove all the back pain.
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Hi,
          I slipped a disk in the summer - I couldn't stand up straight for about a week and the pain was horrific. I went to a sports masseur who sorted the peripheral muscular pain out and then I signed up for personal training to build up my core stability. The only way I've ever found to combat back pain is to strengthen your core. It worked wonders, I have no issues now.
          I know some people are averse to exercising because they fear hurting their back more, or are simply just averse to exercise, but believe me it does work wonders!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Emily View Post
            Hi,
            I slipped a disk in the summer - I couldn't stand up straight for about a week and the pain was horrific. I went to a sports masseur who sorted the peripheral muscular pain out and then I signed up for personal training to build up my core stability. The only way I've ever found to combat back pain is to strengthen your core. It worked wonders, I have no issues now.
            I know some people are averse to exercising because they fear hurting their back more, or are simply just averse to exercise, but believe me it does work wonders!!!
            I'm no expert, but I think exercise also strengthen ligaments, joints and bones, as well as muscles. Especially heavy excerise. Of course weights are also dangerous and probably work better as a preventative measure than a cure. There’s an interesting alternative at my gym, they have a machine that vibrates like the dickens. I think oldsih women use it most, perhaps to prevent osteoartitis. I tried it once and, naturally putting it onto its highest setting, it felt like as if I was on the end of a jackhammer and that my fillings would fall out. I'm not kidding, it wasn't taking prisoners.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Was the one causing the pain a Vauxhall?
              Yes it was. I have stayed away from Vauxhalls ever since

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                they have a machine that vibrates like the dickens. I think oldsih women use it most, perhaps to prevent osteoartitis.
                I dont think they are trying to prevent osteoartitis

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  I dont think they are trying to prevent osteoartitis

Comment

Prawn

I had prolapsed C5/6 and was told I needed surgery and that was that. I found a fab acupuncturist who also did very hard chinese massage and after about 10 treatments I was okay and did not need surgery. She said she knew of a number of people in the same situation.

Doctors: If the only tool you have is a hammer...

L

Comment

Working...
                    X