• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Price of suits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

* Best Answer

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    They only go shiny when you lot start sending us invoices. The reason the arses shine is because when confronted with a request for money shifting them side to side in a rapid "polishing movement" helps to squeeze out the bulltulipe as to why the money may take a while to be sent.
    On LinkedIn you can mark an answer as Best Answer. This would have been the one!

<--- arse polishing in action
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

500 quid on a suit? I shoplift mine from Oxfam shop as they don't have CCTVs.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        500 quid on a suit? I shoplift mine from Oxfam shop as they don't have CCTVs.
        Well for £500 you get a built in CCTV for filming "girlies bits" in city wine bars thrown in
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Well for £500 you get a built in CCTV for filming "girlies bits" in city wine bars thrown in
          And a surely a teflon coating so that the wine just slides right off without staining. I'm sure that the teflon is a great advantage that helps you slip out of other awkward situations as well....

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
            And a surely a teflon coating so that the wine just slides right off without staining. I'm sure that the teflon is a great advantage that helps you slip out of other awkward situations as well....
            "Loser" they call me (of invoices )
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

My favourite is the suit with no tie combination favoured by middle management wannabes who don't want to look stiff with the 'the kids' yet haven't got the balls or originality to ditch the suit for fear of appearing non-conformist with the bigger boys.

Or the wockney canker style with huuuge fat tie and biiiig collars where you just want to grab that tie and garrot the little James Blunt wearing it.

Was told the other day that a suit was the 'uniform of business'. The very phrase just made me wince typing it!
              Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

M&S had suits for sale in store at £30.

They still have some online at £60. 44" chests only need apply.

Comment

I have just shelled out £500 for a shiny new suit. First one in 5 years, everyone telling me I need to look smart and that £500 is the going rate for a decent suit (reduced from £1000 in the Harvey nicks sale) The things we have to do to conform with our clients and contractors expectations.

It's all right for you lot with your old school jacket and a pair pf sandals off a Benidorm street market. No wonder our margins need to be so high
                  500 quid for a suit.

That was not even enough to pay for my old Zegna school jacket and a pair of Armani sandals (and I am talking about the 80s of course, not now).

No wonder you agents must scrounge a few pennies from rich contractors to survive.
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I have just shelled out £500 for a shiny new suit. First one in 5 years, everyone telling me I need to look smart and that £500 is the going rate for a decent suit (reduced from £1000 in the Harvey nicks sale) The things we have to do to conform with our clients and contractors expectations.

It's all right for you lot with your old school jacket and a pair pf sandals off a Benidorm street market. No wonder our margins need to be so high
                    £3000 is the going rate for a decent suit. Anything 'designer', 'made to measure' or off the peg is cheap rubbish made by either a machine or a child in Vietnam.

Comment

£500 is not a good price for a suit, especially when reduced from £1000.

You needn't pay more than £250 for a non-brand off-the-peg suit of similar quality to a "designer" off-the-peg suit.

For about £650 and up to about £1500 you can get East-End bespoke suits, or at least made-to-measure that will fit like a glove and look miles better. £3000 is the going rate for Saville Row, but all you're doing is paying for their sky-high shop rents, as most of them outsource to the East End or provincial cutters anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X