• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone know what mains gas costs per cubic metre ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

less of it

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      So please explain how we commonly say...

50 metres square for a floor area

then why not 3 metres cubed for a measurement of gas ?
      This is going to get very tedious very quickly.

"50 metres square for a floor area" - 'we' don't say that. One says "50 square metres".

Equally "3 cubic metres".

This is different from "50 metres squared" which - in English semantics, as opposed to that of only a selection of programming languages - is equal to 2,500 square metres.

"3 metres cubed" is - in English - "27 cubic metres".

"50 metres square" might, at a push, mean an area of 50 square metres that just happens to also be square in shape, i.e about 7.071 metres along each side.

"square" and "cubic" are adjectives. "Squared and "cubed" are past tense verbs. They have different meanings.

I don't suppose that helps at all, does it?
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

I guess i've lived with all these europeans too long and construct my sentences like them

Milan.

Comment

give it up milan.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
            This is different from "50 metres squared" which - in English semantics, as opposed to that of only a selection of programming languages - is equal to 2,500 square metres.
            Mathematics too. I don’t know of any languages other than natural ones (e.g. English) where operator precedence is multiplication followed by exponentiation i.e. "3 meters squared" means (3 * 1 metre)^2 rather than 3 * (1 metre ^2).

To avoid ambiguity when not using standard units it may be better to say a square 3m wide.

Comment

ummm...

dear Milan, i feel that you're being unfairly persecuted here...BrowneIssue is being unreasonably pedantic. there is ofcourse a legitimate difference between square metres and metres squared, elegantly explained here:
              http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/58423.html
              however, type "3 metres cubed" into Google and its automatic calculator function will give you 3 (metres cubed) = 3 m3. so the assumption is that the English expression "3 metres cubed" is shorthand for 3 m3, not 27 m3.
              if you don't believe that Google is the foremost authority on all things, then refer to WolframAlpha, the mathematical search engine par excellence:
              http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=3+metres+cubed
              WolframAlpha also interprets "3 metres cubed" as 3 m3.
              try the same with "3 metres square"
              http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=3+metres+square
              and it yields "3 x meter2" not 9 m2.

moreover, as Milan points out, European languages often work that way as well. i can't speak for Czech, but in French for instance, you would say "3 mètres carres" and "3 mètres cube"; you would never say "3 carres metres", grammatically that just doesn't make any sense.
              hence, a Francophone would probably tend to say "3 metres cubed" and "3 metres square" in English.
              so give the man a break!

"50 metres square for a floor area" - 'we' don't say that. One says "50 square metres".

Equally "3 cubic metres".

"3 metres cubed" is - in English - "27 cubic metres".

"50 metres square" might, at a push, mean an area of 50 square metres that just happens to also be square in shape, i.e about 7.071 metres along each side.

"square" and "cubic" are adjectives. "Squared and "cubed" are past tense verbs. They have different meanings.

I don't suppose that helps at all, does it?

Comment

Wrong - it took over 23 months:

Originally posted by sillysauce View Post
                bunch of stuff...

Comment

Working...
                X