• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Audi A6 and BMW 5 Series too fancy ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, an A6 or 5 series is not too posh or fancy for a contractor, or even for a reasonably successful permie. As you said they can be picked up for a reasonable price so it isn't exactly screaming "look how much more loaded I am than yous!" unless the permie carpark is full of 15 year old Fiestas and Astras.

are classed as semi-executive saloons.

If you turned up in an R8 or M6, then it might be a bit different
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post
      In your experience then, what would you say was the limit? Golf GTI? or are we talking Ford Focus to the client site?
      I think the more anonymous the better. Ive worked with a couple of contractors who had old bangers they would use just for commuting for this reason. They would have their 'real' car at home and use it on weekends or when not in a contract.

Ive got a bit of a banger anyway, but im going to get something else soon. I won't be getting it until my current contract is up though. The silliest thing can prevent a renewal.

Comment

Originally posted by shoes View Post
        The silliest thing can prevent a renewal.
        Like pulling monkey faces behing the bosses back?

In my first contract I got done for spinning my wheels while driving past the police check-point at Farnborough. Seemed like a good idea at the time. It was pointed out to me that they preferred 5 mph when entering. I never did get security cleared, but the boss saw the funny side.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          In my first contract I got done for spinning my wheels while driving past the police check-point at Farnborough.
          You bad lad
          Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

If I had to commute long distances and really needed a car, I would have the Mazda 6 MPS. Miles better and cheaper than the German competition. And no one knows what it is, so excellent for a contractor who doesn't want permie envy.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              If I had to commute long distances and really needed a car, I would have the Mazda 6 MPS. Miles better and cheaper than the German competition. And no one knows what it is, so excellent for a contractor who doesn't want permie envy.
              Agreed, Mazda 6 MPS is the perfect contractor car.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

If you must have a car, use an old banger.

Also, turn up in scruffy clothes, old shoes, an Aldi carrier bag to carry your gear, and drink cupasoups for lunch.

It all helps with the impression and doesn't peeve the permies off.
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Like the man said, get a Forester (and no, I'm not a lesbian... )

Looks like any typical boring Jap/Korean/Taiwanese cheapo SUV 4x4 wannabe - until they spot the full leather, Momo multi-function steering wheel, semi-auto gearbox, cruise, climate, sat nav and all the other toys. Or they try and race it and find out it'll go 0-100 in 15.5 seconds...

Fabulous tool, most practical and fun car I've ever owned.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Like the man said, get a Forester (and no, I'm not a lesbian... )

Looks like any typical boring Jap/Korean/Taiwanese cheapo SUV 4x4 wannabe - until they spot the full leather, Momo multi-function steering wheel, semi-auto gearbox, cruise, climate, sat nav and all the other toys. Or they try and race it and find out it'll go 0-100 in 15.5 seconds...

Fabulous tool, most practical and fun car I've ever owned.
                    Yeah that too. The aristo car of choice.
                    Shame that most people are seduced by superior marketing rather than an honest assessment of engineering prowess.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Got an A3 today ( ) for about 13 k. Could have gotten BMW 5 for the same money , but without all the whistles. I like the A3s alot - very sporty , clean , straight shape...

Comment

Working...
                      X