• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone interested in US politics?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it was the women:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/09/us...cs/09poll.html

Women Backed Clinton, Exit Polls Show
    By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK and MEGAN THEE
    Published: January 9, 2008

MANCHESTER, N.H. — Democratic women rallied around Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton in the New Hampshire primary Tuesday, according to statewide exit polls, confounding expectations and providing her margin of victory over Senator Barack Obama.

In contrast to polling results in the Iowa caucuses, half the women who voted in the Democratic primary gave her their support, the polls showed. Four in 10 voters said Mrs. Clinton was most qualified to be commander-in-chief, while 3 in 10 said the same of Mr. Obama.

“It’s assumed that people vote for her because of superficial things, but she has the depth and strength and has been through a lot,” said Mary-Jo Cassidy, 57, of Manchester, explaining why she cast her vote for Mrs. Clinton.

At the same time, however, Democratic voters viewed Mr. Obama as more likely than Mrs. Clinton to beat the Republican nominee in 2008, a reversal of the previous trends in national polls.

On the Republican side, nearly half of primary voters said their biggest concerns were terrorism and the Iraq war. The exit polls showed that half were dissatisfied or angry with President Bush. A third disapproved of the war. Each of those groups of Republicans broke decisively for Senator John McCain, suggesting more viewed him as a critic than as a supporter of the administration.

Mr. Obama won big among undeclared voters but lost to Mrs. Clinton among registered Democrats. On the Republican side, Mr. McCain beat former Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts among undeclared voters, who have been a mainstay of his support, and registered Republicans.

The exit polls were conducted by Edison/Mitofsky for the National Election Pool consortium among 1,914 Democratic voters and 1,472 Republican voters. The margin of sampling error is plus or minus four percentage points for each party.

Mr. Obama received about twice as much support as Mrs. Clinton did among voters under 30, and beat her handily among men.

Roughly 4 in 10 voters in the Democratic primary said the economy was the most important issue, while 3 in 10 said the war and another 3 in 10 health care.

Mr. Obama campaigned as an early opponent of the war in Iraq, and Mrs. Clinton campaigned as best-qualified to overhaul health care. But the exit polls indicated that voters most concerned about the war as well as those most concerned about the health care system favored Mr. Obama, while voters who cited the economy as their top concern went for Mrs. Clinton.

Voters in the Republican primary were roughly evenly divided among those who cited the economy, the Iraq war, terrorism and illegal immigration as their top concerns. In addition to dominating the votes of those concerned about terrorism and the war, Mr. McCain won among those most concerned about the economy — an area where Mr. Romney, a founder of a giant private equity firm, hoped to have an edge.

“He’s straightforward, a good solid American citizen, no baggage,” David Gagnon, 64, a retired voter in Bedford, said of Mr. McCain. “I’ve been for him all along. My most important issues are, not necessarily in order, health care, economy, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan. In other words, foreign policy. That’s it. If he could get some of that done, that’d be great.”

Mr. Romney, who hammered Mr. McCain with advertisements criticizing his support for allowing illegal immigrants a path to citizenship, attracted the most support from voters concerned about that issue.

But criticism of Mr. Romney for changing his position on abortion rights and his tone on other social issues clearly hurt him. About half the Republican voters who sought a candidate who “says what he believes” chose Mr. McCain. About one in 10 chose Mr. Romney.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Surely

Well, what did you expect? Hillary not to mobilise the female voters in the same way that Barack does to the non-white ones? It's human nature. Also, nothing like a tear jerker to draw the audiences. More to the point, she is talking about national and local issues, while he is still going on about Iraq/Guantanamo/etc/etc which are less relevant to the US public than economy and healthcare are.

Comment

In all honesty I didn't expect him to lose, based on everything I was reading. He did well with the female vote in Iowa. I think Monday's emotional almost crying thing on Monday probably swung a lot of votes her way in that respect.

Long way to go, but seems that maybe the pendulum has swung in her favour again.

It's not too everyone's taste but the whole nomination process is one of the things I find most fascinating about US politics.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Far too early

I'd say, forget about it at least until Feb.5
          Barack was very gracious to her in his speech and that sounds more genuine to me than a few female tears.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
            In all honesty I didn't expect him to lose, based on everything I was reading. He did well with the female vote in Iowa. I think Monday's emotional almost crying thing on Monday probably swung a lot of votes her way in that respect.

Long way to go, but seems that maybe the pendulum has swung in her favour again.

It's not too everyone's taste but the whole nomination process is one of the things I find most fascinating about US politics.
            Have to agree - it is fascinating. I think if she wins the nomination she won't stand a hope in hell against McCain.
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Excellent piece here on how the pollsters got it so wrong ...

http://timesonline.typepad.com/comme...llary-won.html

Comment

Today's the day.

When it should, hopefully, become clearer. Least if Barak wins one of Ohio or Texas, or draws even ...

Comment

Today's the day.

When it should, hopefully, become clearer. Least if Barak wins one of Ohio or Texas, or draws even ...
                  No-one seems to know how to tackle Obama - the approach of "all mouth and no trousers" may be true, but isn't working for Hillary.

I still want her to win, though, but there's a danger that if she does then she will lose to McCain because she arouses such hatred among the Republicans that more would come out to vote.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Obama wins north Carolina, narrowly loses Indiana.

Looks like he may have nailed the bitch. More I see of Mrs Clinto, the more I really despise her - self serving, nasty peice of work who'll happily drag her party down, or Obama for now so she can have a pop this time or next election if Obama loses ...

Comment

Actually, no I don't believe in CND, though I do sympathise with greenpeace - not in everything but their heart is in the right place. It's called self depreciation - think I'd fall into the tree hugging hippy stereotype on here, hence me taking the piss out of myself. Do I really have to explain this any more?

Anyway, not really interested in getting into a debate with someone who so clearly is missing the point of this particular thread. And BTW If you're going to slag me off for my lack of intelligence - at least spell the word intelligence properly.
                      deprecation

Unless you are constantly devaluing yourself. Then again, abuse could work too...
                      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                      X