• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving tax money in your company account...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    So do you pay yourself a decent wage all year round then?
    No I pay myself minimum wage (~£11k) all year round and the divvies make up the rest, but I only take them when it is in the best interests of my company (just as is stated the dividend meeting minutes), i.e. when profits are up business is continuing and the shareholders should be rewarded for their hard work
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
      I just pay myself the max dividend applicable for my circumstances (24k Each year for me) at the first opputunity and then budget it out for personal use throughout the rest of the year. I am quite fiscally disciplined though.

But when you take this £24k, presumably on April 6th, does it leave enough money in the company for the tax that is due, or do you rely on the fact that you'll have plenty of money coming in between April 6th and the date that the tax is due and that will more than cover it?

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
        just as is stated the dividend meeting minutes

yeah, yeah me too

<shhhh - they'll hear us>

The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
          SJD reckon it's illegal to take divvies if you dont have enough money for tax.....they probably mean at the end of the year like, but the way they say it implies keeping the money in year month by month.
          No they mean at any time. You can't declare a dividend if you don't have the profit.

That doesn't mean you have to have received the money yet, but you have to earned it. Loosely if you bill £10k/month, ex vat, and have received £10k, invoiced but not received another £10k, and WORKED another £2,400, with £1k expenses, then your profits are £21,400. Tax owed is £4,280, so you can legally pay out £17,120 dividend. You've got £10,750 in the bank (£10k, plus the £1,750 in VAT, minus £1k spent), and you can pay every penny out.

OTOH, if you had received all that was receiveable, you would have £22,500 in the bank, but would not be able to pay it all out legally.

Comment

Up until recently, I've been doing exactly the same, but it's been pointed out to me that I could just leave all the money in the company account and link it to an offset mortgage - so I'll probably do that.
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

But when you take this £24k, presumably on April 6th, does it leave enough money in the company for the tax that is due,
              Yes.

Comment

I just take what the accountant tells me I am allowed and everything else just sits there, I don't treat it as my money and knowing I can be dumped with 2 weeks notice at any time is enough of an incentive to do it this way.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by dude69 View Post
                  No they mean at any time. You can't declare a dividend if you don't have the profit.

... <snip> ...

OTOH, if you had received all that was receiveable, you would have £22,500 in the bank, but would not be able to pay it all out legally.
                  I see. Thanks for the explanation. My accountant doesn't give me a running total of what tax is due so it is difficult to know how much of my account balance is available to me as a divvy without getting the old spreadsheets out and working it out manually...

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                    Up until recently, I've been doing exactly the same, but it's been pointed out to me that I could just leave all the money in the company account and link it to an offset mortgage - so I'll probably do that.
                    A personal mortgage or a commercial one?

Comment

Originally posted by dude69 View Post

That doesn't mean you have to have received the money yet, but you have to earned it. Loosely if you bill £10k/month, ex vat, and have received £10k, invoiced but not received another £10k, and WORKED another £2,400, with £1k expenses, then your profits are £21,400. Tax owed is £4,280, so you can legally pay out £17,120 dividend. You've got £10,750 in the bank (£10k, plus the £1,750 in VAT, minus £1k spent), and you can pay every penny out.

I get this in theory - but I'm not an accountant and wouldn't have a clue that out of that money I owed £4,280 in tax!!

I would normally take whatever cash I wanted out of the company until I got a bill from HMRC, then tighten my belt for the month until they were paid.

How are we expected to do any other when we dont know what tax is due out?
                      The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                      X